• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flo Group buys La Coupole

fresh_a

Oh well, I suppose now it will go the way of Balzar; speaking of which, since John Whiting's visit in 2001, anyone else tested the Flo/Balzar waters? As the sometimes maligned Olivier Morteau noted, stand-alone places, esp brasseries, are fewer & fewer. I'll be posting news in the Digest soon from Figaroscope Wednesday, of the Brasserie Lorraine's reopening after extensive renovation; made possible by monies no doubt from Les Frères Blanc.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I dined at La Coupole about 5 years ago and they were already owned by Flo. Read the article carefully, I believe they are buying it back (racheter, not acheter).

I guess they sold it along the way and are now buying it back.

Thanks for confirming that. At my age I worry when I have to question what I remember and in connection with la Coupole, I remembered that it was a Flo brasserie when I last considered it for dinner. I am not at all convinced that Flo has ruined any of the places it bought, or at least that they were likely to suffer a worse fate had they not been taken over by the Flo group. Les Grande Marches, I believe that's the name of the contemporary restaurant/brasserie they opened near the Opera, (Bastille) was a pretty decent place in it's own right when I ate there a few years ago.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

The Flo group have been managing (under contract), and running commercial operations at La Coupole since 1990; the management contract was renewed every six or so years. They have now purchased the business out right, they now own anything physically linked to the space and name.

At least that's what the article says...

Michel

I dined at La Coupole about 5 years ago and they were already owned by Flo. Read the article carefully, I believe they are buying it back (racheter, not acheter).

I guess they sold it along the way and are now buying it back.

It is my understanding that racheter means either "buy back" or simply "acquire" if it applies to used goods, a company or its stock. Thus, in the business pages (cf Figaro Entreprises) you often see "x rachte y cie."

But a native Francophone should chime in here, I'm hardly "Mr Language."

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Flo was running the Coupole before.Now they own it.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Flo was running the Coupole before.Now they own it.

As apparently they've been running it almost fifteen years, I'd expect no immediate changes. The Flo web site doesn't distinguish between ownership or management. It's quite a chain. There are 16 brasseries listed in seven cities including one outside of France--in Barcelona. I still maintain they're a decent place to eat a certain kind of food and I'm delighted to learn they offer a 20% discount on a meal if you reserve your table online. I would have eaten there last week if I had known that. Le Vaudeville was on our short list for two occasions. It's not exactly Olive Garden even if it's a chain. I don't really have much to say about the cooking. I think of it in terms of standards, oysters, raw bar, steak frites and andouillette.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.