• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

meat/poultry in west l.a.?

eatstrong

Welcome to eG, eatstrong.

For Japanese cuts, I like Nijiya Market on Sawtelle, near Olympic, or Mitsuwa on Centinela and Venice.

But it sounds like you're looking for steaks, roasts and such. I've had a good experience with Gus' Fine Meats, but it's in the Fairfax area, and they're more set up for wholesale, although they will sell to the public. Call a few days ahead so they can fabricate for you. Cash only. 323-937-4622

There are some others listed in the Zagat Marketplace (2000), but I haven't tried them. Perhaps others can comment?

-Bel Air Prime Meats

-Doheny Kosher

-G&K Kosher Meats

-Huntington Meats

-Marconda's Meat Market

-Owen's Market

-Victor's Meats & Deli

If you want german meats and sausage's try Esbachs in Torrance around the 17700 blk of Western. La Espanola Spanish market as also amazing...its 25020 Doble in Harbor City.... lots of imported stuff...

Victor's...if thats the one in Hawthorne he has been there for ever...in fact we shot that place up a few years back!

Great meats!...but its not really a "deli" but you can order custom cuts

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

I can vouch for Owen's Market as a very good butcher, quality wise. My parents have shopped there for over thirty five years consistently. Every trip home I cook for the familly and buy my meat at Owens. Quality of the meat is excellent. Its on Pico, just east of Century City.

"When I lived in Paris, and champagne was relatively cheap, I always enjoyed a half-bottle in the middle of the morning and another half-bottle at six or so in the evening. It did me a tremendous amount of good." - Gerald Hamilton.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know where one is in WLA, but Jon's markets carry a lot of lamb product. One of the ones I shop at (La Brea and Fountain) has a large Russian/Armenian/Latin community, so they tend to carry everything from shanks to whole legs, shoulder chops, tongues, neck bones and testicles.

Occasionally I've purchased a sheep's head there. It might be worth a visit if you're cruising that side of town. Also check out their selection of olives, feta cheeses and cured meats, along with their produce. They usually carry great eggplant, persian cucumbers, peppers and copious amounts of fresh mint and dill for really reasonable prices. You may have to beat your way around the store agaist a tide of babushka clad old ladies, :wink: but it's well worth it.

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Don't know where one is in WLA, but Jon's markets carry a lot of lamb product. One of the ones I shop at (La Brea and Fountain) has a large Russian/Armenian/Latin community, so they tend to carry everything from shanks to whole legs, shoulder chops, tongues, neck bones and  testicles.

Occasionally I've purchased a  sheep's head there. It might be worth a visit if you're cruising that side of town. Also check out their selection of olives, feta cheeses and cured meats, along with their produce. They usually carry great eggplant, persian cucumbers, peppers and copious amounts of fresh mint and dill for really reasonable prices. You may have to beat your way around the store agaist a tide of babushka clad old ladies,  :wink:  but it's well worth it.

Oh, that's right around the corner from me! I'll check it out (and I'll bet it's much less expensive than Whole Foods, too). Thanks so much-

You're welcome. :smile:

I hope they have what you need - they also carry an extensive line of pig too - all parts. A little different from Whole Foods, which tends to ignore the more 'obvious' parts of the animal in favor of the higher end, pricier cut loin and chops. Be sure to check out Jon's selection of packaged spices and grains - you can pick up zatar, sumac, fennel seeds, wheat berries, etc. inexpensively as well. Good hunting!

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

• 2 weeks later...

I like Jon's a lot, and while they do have a variety of lamb cuts, I found it curious that they don't sell ground lamb in the butcher section, only in the frozen chubs. Not much demand in that form I guess.

edit: to make it clear that I was talking about Jon's

Edited by FoodZealot (log)

I like Jon's a lot, and while they do have a variety of lamb cuts, I found it curious that they don't sell ground lamb in the butcher section, only in the frozen chubs.  Not much demand in that form I guess.

I had a long chat with the guy at the butcher counter and, actually, all their lamb is pre-frozen- the stuff out in the counter has just been already defrosted. I forgot to ask about the pork or the beef- but MAN did they have a lot of both.

Frozen, however, was fine with me (especially at something like $2.50 a pound-). I had him snag me the still frozen shanks and I defrosted them at home since I shopped a day early. The shanks were delicious.