• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

From West Virginia: Roadkill cook-off

the article from Roanoke.com

As much as I have promoted the concept of a new, vibrant, culinarily adventurous South, along comes an article which negates much of the progress that I have discussed here in this Forum: Roadkill cook-off .... :huh: It was sent to me because it is from Roanoke which is in this region but also because the person who located this treasure has a marvelous kitschy sense of regional humor, my friend Carrot Top ... so, having given you the prelude .. now for the fugue ....

Poking fun at our Appalachian neighbors is allowed one day of the year. This year, that day is Saturday, Sept. 25. The 13th annual West Virginia Roadkill Cook-Off will bring in cooks from all over with curious culinary capabilities. "We've had rattlesnake and turtle, groundhog and 'possum. Nothing too unusual," noted Nancy Smithson, the West Virginia woman who has organized every cook ."Buffalo Balls" took the $600 top prize wowed judges with their spicy bison meatball mixture. Second place went to Brenda Newsom for "Wild Turkalo on a Log," a blend of buffalo and wild turkey with egg noodles, provolone and mozzarella cheese. 

Seems inquiries are coming in from as far away as Australia now and the event has blossomed ... a story which you may or may not enjoy, but one you will long remember! And the meat most often used here is venison. All meat is inspected for freshness and the event is handled quite professionally, despite its misnomer of a title ... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I seem to remember reading about this event before, so it must have been going for at least a year or two.

Now there's nothing wrong with venison, and rabbit is workable, but rattlesnake is particularly difficult and I just plain don't like turtle.

Sounds like a challenging event.

The article from the Roanoke Times and World News goes on to state that the Roadkill Festival was founded in response to a new (c.2002) West VA law which allows folks to keep their roadkill, as long as they report it within 24 hours.

Waste not, want not!

I fear, however, that this law might encourage some to hit their deer on purpose. Although those folks were probably doing that anyway. :hmmm:

Anyone who has mistakenly hit or even bumped a deer with their vehicle, knows that makes for nothing but an expensive repair to the car.

Gosh, this isn't really about Road Kill, it's about a subject (the preparation and cooking of unusual sorts of wild game, which is quite traditional in rural areas of West Virginia among other states) being approached in a humorous, creative manner.

It's about making a silk purse from a sow's ear.

I would love to go to the festival, might try to do it this year.

Some of the recipes sound really good if one does not approach them with a prejudiced attitude....I am sure the crowd attending will be both knowledgeable and fun to be around.

Of course, if nothing suits to taste, there is always the Greenbrier Resort up the road a piece (also in West Virginia) to visit for dinner...one might find rabbit or venison on the menu there too but you'd have to dress up right to walk in to sit down for dinner.... :wink:

Will do, seahawg. Though my favorite dose of local culture available on CD is always the latest by Bill Lepp, the five time Champion of the West Virginia Liar's Contest. His latest CD is called ' Mayhem Dressed as an Eight Point Buck'. Wonder if he'll be at the festival.... :wink:

Promised to post the 'roadkill' poems but when I found them, I realized that they were...truly...uh, quite serious...and I did not want to put anyone into a certainly possibly morose but definitely serious mood after reading them.

If a front-face not humorous look at the notion of roadkill still appeals to anyone who appreciates poetry, search for Gerald Stern on the net and seek his roadkill poems.