• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Food Saver/Vacuum Sealer Topic: 2001-2010

Ronaldo Zacapa x

I've been researching these a lot (both here and elsewhere) and just pulled the trigger on a Pro 2300. I found it for a great price at: http://www.qualitymatters.com/Vacuum-Sealers-s/54.htm $335 for the 2100 and $350 for the 2300, with free shipping if you buy bags or the maintenance kit at the same time. The bags are about the same price as at BCU, and you need them anyway. With the price of the unit $50 less than at BCU plus free shipping, that's a pretty significant savings...

Just thought I'd share after gaining so much knowledge from this board. :D

I reported here on the FoodSaver 2830, which I use all the time for SV, stock, many other uses. I may be wrong, but it looks an awful lot like the 2240 listed here on Amazon for ~$100. A few quibbles -- when you're doing several seals (more than a dozen, say) at once it can overheat and need to cool a bit -- but I love it. Next for me would be a chamber sealer, but that's lottery-winning stuff.... :wink:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I'm really interested in the 2830 model but i'm not finding it priced below $200. I'll have to take a closer look at the 2240.

I'm still delighted with my V2860 (see upthread), which, a year ago, in the expensive over-taxed UK, cost me £100 (around US$150), brand new inc delivery. Close-outs on premium models can be good bargains.

I note that eBay (US) has some vendors offering inspected-customer-return (or ex-demo, etc) V2490 models for around $75 + shipping.

That model seems to have the wide seal, pulse pumping (push-to-pump) and push-to-just-seal, two-speed pump, and a moist-seal setting.

Which certainly sounds like it ought to do the job. (It sounds like a 2-speed version of my 3-speed V2860.)

ADDED: V2490 instruction manual http://www.foodsaver.com/Manuals/MANUALS/FSV2490QuickStart_3_44.pdf (PDF download)

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I seal a lot of similar things in small bags - they don't get lost because all the bags of one type (or flavor) of food go into a large or jumbo zippy or hefty bag (Hefty makes the 2 1/2 gallon bags with the slider top).

I mark the date on the outside of the large bag, which is much easier to keep track of than all those little ones. If I do another batch, I use another big bag with the new date and it goes behind the earlier batch in the freezer basket.

I cut all the bags to the desired size before I begin as my Pro Vacuum Sealer from BCU Plastics & Packaging does not have storage for the rolls.

I have a plastic box with dividers that allows the bags to stand up while being filled and holds them upright while waiting to be filled. I don't remember where I got it but it says "Quantum" on the bottom.

I mentioned the funnel with the larger opening in an earlier post and all these little "accessories" really make the process easier and faster.

I didn't buy the Quantum container for this purpose - I think I originally got it for holding sewing supplies but I repurposed it for this use.

Incidentally, I have now had the Pro Vacuum Sealer for a bit over a year and I absolutely love it.

Instead of keeping my homemade baking mixes in a big Cambro container and measuring them out at need, I package enough for a particular recipe (scones, for instance) and apply a sticker with the ingredients to be added when used. One large container holds the packages for single batches, another holds the packages for double batches. Saves a little time and the possibility of contaminating the rest of the mixture.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Has anybody bought the cheaper vacuumchamber machines on ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/Full-automatic-Vacuum-packing-pack-seal-machine-food-/400151486434?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2ae31fe2 ) , for me in sweden including the shipping it would be just about twice the price of a FoodSaver 2860.

But I am a little concerned about the quality but it sure looks good...

Has anybody bought the cheaper vacuumchamber machines on ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/Full-automatic-Vacuum-packing-pack-seal-machine-food-/400151486434?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2ae31fe2 ) , for me in sweden including the shipping it would be just about twice the price of a FoodSaver 2860.

But I am a little concerned about the quality but it sure looks good...

$600 + shipping at $270 minimum = $870 US

Still not expensive for a chamber machine, but ...

That is already about six times what my V2860 cost me.

And then you have to factor in import taxes, import clearance agent fees, etc ...

And I have a local warranty instead of dealing with Hong Kong.

The V2860 can still be found in the UK for about £100 (delivery to Sweden would be more, maybe £20 ?)

I'm a great advocate of buying electronics modules direct from China. That's where I got my PID & SSR to build my Sous Vide controller. (eBay + PayPal does seem to make the global marketplace viable)

Such things are cheap (cheap enough to be below the minimum customs concern for imports) and rugged enough to be confident of them withstanding postage half way round the world in a padded bag.

I wouldn't be anywhere near as confident about a 35 kg (say 85 lb) item, with lots of intricate mechanical parts, arriving in perfect condition.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Just regarding the price,

the v2860 would e 100£ + 40£ = 1680 Eur

And the Vacuum pack would be = 580 Eur ( sent from germany via a reseller therefore a little bit cheaper and no extra tax )

Ok this is quite a lot more than twice :)

So I will get the FoodSaver, I just tried to convince my self to buy a chamber machine ;)

Thnx for reply, you put me back on the right track.

Just regarding the price,

the v2860 would e 100£ + 40£ = 1680 Eur

And the Vacuum pack would be = 580 Eur ( sent from germany via a reseller therefore a little bit cheaper and no extra tax )

Ok this is quite a lot more than twice :)

So I will get the FoodSaver, I just tried to convince my self to buy a chamber machine ;)

Thnx for reply, you put me back on the right track.

Maybe €168 rather than 1680 ... :smile:

"Other models are available" I think the 2400's have two pumping speeds, for example. But I think the clearance 2860 is a decent price for a decent machine.

However €580 plus only shipping within Europe would be cheap indeed for a chamber machine.

Occasionally I have looked on eBay UK for used ones, and they seem to sell (even well used) for much more than €600.

• 3 months later...

I have the Cabela's model of vac packer, which seems very similar to the one Sam Kinsey and Andie have. I love it. I love that I can replace individual parts if/when they wear out. I love that I can see inside the well. I love that I can control how long the seal is heated and how much vacuum is pulled. I love that it takes all my old Food Saver accessories. I love that it has a little storage area into which fit both my Mason jar sealers, the hose that connects them to the machine, AND the power cord. I love that the seal strip is 1/4" wide.

It IS large, but it's well worth the counter space. I had a Tilia Food Saver for over 10 years (I think), but it gave out last year, and while I and my partner tried to fix it, we were unsuccessful. The seal strip would no longer work.

Now, the only thing that would make me even happier is if I could figure out some way of vacuum sealing gallon (pickle) jars that I have filled with dry milk, flour, sugar, etc. I can successfully seal other jars (like pasta jars) with the one-piece lids by putting them inside one of my Food Saver canisters, sealing the canister, then releasing the vacuum on the canister, but those canisters are not large enough to fit a gallon glass jar.

There used to be a "universal jar sealer" contraption that someone sold, but the site is no longer active and I've never seen a picture of it.

Has anyone ever seen anything that could be useful for this purpose? Is there anyone else out there who would find something to seal gallon pickle jars useful?

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

Has anyone ever seen anything that could be useful for this purpose? Is there anyone else out there who would find something to seal gallon pickle jars useful?

I bought this Wide mouth jar sealer from Amazon to use with my foodsaver. There is a standard width one as well. I'm not sure what kind of lids you are using, but I have used this with a 1 gallon mason jar to good effect.

I guess the model number would be helpful, wouldn't it? It's the CG-15, like this. I got it on sale, too. I have not found, as some reviewers state, that you have to hold the lid down the whole time you're sealing. The instructions state that you just need to hold it down long enough to get the vacuum started, then you can let go. In fact, you have to wait a second or two after the seal is done before the vacuum is released, allowing you to pick the lid up.

The gallon pickle jars I have are much larger in the mouth than a wide-mouth Mason jar. I haven't measured it, but I think they're larger by at least an inch in diameter. Wide-mouth Mason lids just won't fit.

ETA info about the sealer.

Edited by thock (log)

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

I'm looking at a MiniPac MVS-20 sealer. Has anyone tried it? It is small so I think the biggest bag would be an 8X12. Do you think this is ok for home use? I'm trying to get started with sous vide cooking. I've read that these chamber vacs are better if you want to seal liquids. thanks!

The gallon pickle jars I have are much larger in the mouth than a wide-mouth Mason jar. I haven't measured it, but I think they're larger by at least an inch in diameter. Wide-mouth Mason lids just won't fit.

ETA info about the sealer.

I think you are referring to the needle type vacuum sealers that were available some years ago - there was a tube that attached to the sealer to evacuate the air after a hole was punched into the lid and it was sealed with something like clear silicone.

One came with a vac sealer I had at least ten years ago and I recall using it on some large plastic storage jars with lids that were at least 6 inches in diameter.

The kit even included a drill bit for drilling through plastic lids.

The vac worked so well that one of the jars partially collapsed. I had trouble ordering replacement sealer so stopped using it. I probably tossed it.

I don't know why they are no longer available, but I haven't seen them for years.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Kerry,

No, I have a couple of those. I want to be able to seal the original lids on the gallon jars.

Andie,

You may well be right. I have never seen the "universal jar sealer" because the website is defunct, but some of the descriptions I've seen of it refer to tape to seal a hole in the lid.

My search continues. I may have to invent what I need.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

• 4 weeks later...