• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Robb Walsh "thrown out" of a restaurant

FoodMan

Guys... This is much too good to hide out in Texas. I have moved it to Food Media & News.

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Guys... This is much to good to hide out in Texas. I have moved it to Food Media & News.

This is one of my favorite yipps. I remember real shanks, and that skinny-cut, foreshank stuff don't go there. Pressure cooking after browning makes a buttery, melty kind of shank that just defies description. The wine it's cooked in makes a world of difference as well. Just make sure there's a PILE of marrow to scoop up, which requires decent bread, not 'crumbly Italian". You go Robb. We'd have been tossed together. That dude needs to watch more Sopranos. He's talkin' through his hat. Like fist said, he's about as big as a popcorn fart!

No doubt, this is a "signature dish" because there's so much money coming back on each sale. Or else, no one knows what they're being served.

I was honestly waiting for the veal board to tell him it was actually pork.

I thought the same thing.

A deli I go to regularly, Vatran's Flying Sausages (which I mention only because their logo features the owner riding a large sausage...), features as a special a pork osso buco that is damned good. It is also served over spaetzle. It's altogether very good.

But if I went to a restaurant and was served pork pretending to be veal I would not only send it back... I would want to press charges.

Edited by fiftydollars (log)

Sorry to be a bore, but I feel that the behavior of the chef, as well as the bagel guy, is utterly indefensible. I have zero time for abusive people and would rather give my custom to the second-rate bagel man and the not so chi-chi restaurant then encourage such childishness. They are only creating fancy bread and bones, not performing brain surgery, fergawdsake! :smile:

And it is possible to provide superb products without acting like the Emperor Nero, imho. But, that's just me.

And I totally agree that Robb Walsh reacted wonderfully. And what a perfectly elegant revenge :cool: .

This one's even better!  And as in the other review he still manages to give an evenhanded appraisal and even recommend the place.  After the egulleters hit up Portofino for 30 osso buccos we should stop by this place and each take out a notebook . . .

These are both too good -- handled with humor, style, and class. When I lived in Houston we had a lot of New York transplants. Just don't get that in Austin. Look at the drama we're missing here! :laugh:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

After the egulleters hit up Portofino for 30 osso buccos we should stop by this place and each take out a notebook ...

And a camera.

:biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I had one of those "mental video" moments... a bunch of eGulleteers sauntering in dressed in black with black stetsons and sunglasses. "The Magnificent Seven" came to mind. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I'm too old for "Reservoir Dogs". :laugh: Nope, "Magnificent Seven". The promo picture was the guys lined up in silouette and so looked black.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

My gosh , that was funny! That article showed many facets...1) Robb was veeerry generous and objective in his review. Even after he was thrown out, he still recommended the snapper. Class act if you ask me. 2) He did find out the facts and presented them. All I have to say is..ouch! 3) Loved the touch of humor!