• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Polar opposite WTN's

Michael M

I found out this summer that the area surrounding Chicago is considered an unstable meteorological area by the National Weather Service, and this "summer" has been yet another example of why. Jet stream too far south this "summer" (is my bias obvious yet?) yielded crisp 60-degree days most of July (normal = mid-80's), making the month feel more like October.

Now that September is here, we've had 2 weeks in the mid-to-upper-80's, making it feel like The July We Missed. Typical Chicago 12-hour meteorological moment: Last night, dinner time, 85 degrees, 90% humidity; this morning, 59 degrees, 50% humidity. This isn't all that unusual, either.

For me it has meant that I've enjoyed one of my new favorite inexpensive summer sippers with grilled seafood and vegetables, followed the next cool autumnal day by a new, gamey fall red, followed by the same summer sipper the next pantingly hot summery evening. I have a fridge full of half-empty multi-seasonal wine bottles.

The summer sipper:

2002 Chateau Moncontour Vouvray, $11.50

I love French Chablis. In the summer especially, it's like sipping a light, liquid lemon cream pie. This one is so pale green as to be nearly transparent, creamy lemon and mineral on the nose, lively fruit in the mouth with a great acid/lemony-fruit/mineral ratio, with a nice roundness to the body. Not the longest finish, but you're usually taking another sip by that point anyway.

2001 Dal Fari Schioppettino, Colli Orientali del Friuli, $16, I think

A new grape to me, but I'm in love with it. Talk about your fall wines! This has a musky, gamey, spicey nose to its otherwise blackberry/dried berry aromas. A medium-bodied sip yields the same musky-gamey dark/dried berry-ness with bits of green and black pepper and leafy earth. Dry, rough and brambly, with moderate tannins and low acids. A nice medium long finish of earthy spice.

I had this with pork stuffed ravioli and aged raclette, which was great, but I can see this with grilled game or lamb. This grape is also called Ribolla Nera and is grown, as far as I know, only in the Friuli region. I'll be seeking out more of this grape if possible.

Haven't had the 2002 Moncontour yet. Which style was it , sec, demi-sec, moelleux?

I have always liked the wines from Ch. Moncontour. No chardonnay and not close to Chablis but still a great summa' sippa'. :cool:

Cheers, T

slowfood/slowwine

Demi-sec.  Which is why I couldn't stop drinking it.  Odd to be typing this now, as it's back to 60-degree weather and sangioveses this evening.

TN on the Moncontour were bang on to what I remember from previous vintages.

Lemon, big dose of acid( although, nowhere near as much as the sec) and lotsa mineral on the pallate.

If you have a chance to try the moelleux give it a go. Quite sweet but goes well with smoked salmon and cheese.

60 F, sounds like summa' sippas' are done for the year.

Good time for reds and single malts by the fire with a nice cigar.

Since were being silly(my wife doesn't allow cigars inside regardless of fire or not, fascist I know but she must be obeyed), why not have Sandra Bullock as a dinner guest or after dinner guest.

Sorry, my fantasy.

Cheers, T

Edited by "T" (log)

slowfood/slowwine