• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DC Foodstuffs

babka

I'm headed to New Orleans this weekend to visit my best friend in the world and the gift pile still has a bit of space. It's a happy birthday/the hurricane missed!/you bought a house!/and I love you/ sort of celebration....so the current plan is for a box of cookies from Amernick's and a pack of uncooked pupusas. What else?

A sidecar from Palena?  :biggrin:

No a Copenhagen Citron, which I could use right now

I keeping things such as pate or cheese cool an option?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I expect that the New Orleans contingent is too busy with more important matters to answer the question, "what can't you get for dinner in NO," but that's the way I'd look at it. My best guess would be the more exotic cheeses and charcuterie Dean & DeLuca offers, more cucina Latina from Mt. Pleasant Street, good bread or bagels from the Georgetown Bagel Bakery (if there's room and you can eat it that night). What's the deli scene there -- lox anyone? When I was travelling back and forth from Denver I used to always pick up Thai carryout from Sala Thai and bring that back -- damn hard to get good Thai in a lot of cities.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Could you bring me back some --- Tasso Ham???

I imagine they have other things to worry about right now besides selling some ham

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

It is a good question - if using the airport shops as a guide, they sell candies with pictures of the white house. That's probably not what you are looking for. :raz: Maryland has all the crab stuff - old bay seasoning for example - but what is really DC's own that is take-awayable? I often think that one of the best things in DC is the variety of non-US and specialty foodstuffs that you can find. But something from DC and part of the DC culture? Hard to say. Foggy Bottom Ale?

It is a good question - if using the airport shops as a guide, they sell candies with pictures of the white house. That's probably not what you are looking for.  :raz: Maryland has all the crab stuff - old bay seasoning for example - but what is really DC's own that is take-awayable?  I often think that one of the best things in DC is the variety of non-US and specialty foodstuffs that you can find.  But something from DC and part of the DC culture?  Hard to say.  Foggy Bottom Ale?

I'm sure that, with the hurricane hitting in an election year, they'll be getting plenty of classic DC pork.

I'm on the pavement

many thanks for the thoughts so far! yes, I have a freezer bag that can keep stuff cold. I like the Thai idea, especially if I change it to Dukem's Ethiopian. :wub:

I often think that one of the best things in DC is the variety of non-US and specialty foodstuffs that you can find.  But something from DC and part of the DC culture?

I'm not thinking so much along tourist lines (she used to live here, anyway) as gift lines, e.g., "these are things that are now being created or eaten with love & gusto by people around me." So I would take colorado kitchen biscuits if I could, for example, or naan & beyond's chips if they would travel...

New Orleans, btw, is _good_, other than some power problems and the parking lot that's about to become the highway home. Ivan danced away from her at the last minute, so it's Alabama, Florida, and a bit of the LA coast, that need the care and worry.

many thanks for the thoughts so far! yes, I have a freezer bag that can keep stuff cold. I like the Thai idea, especially if I change it to Dukem's Ethiopian.  :wub:

Excellent call. They did have good ethiopian in Denver, so I never had to cart it back.

I'm on the pavement

Foggy Bottom Ale?

Contrary to what many believe, Foggy Bottom is actually contract brewed in Utica, New York. It's really not very "Washington" at all, in my opinion. I hope that someday they are able to open a real brewery in D.C., but from what I know, this isn't happening anytime soon, if ever :sad:

Edited by Roger Troutman (log)

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

Contrary to what many believe, Foggy Bottom is actually contract brewed in Utica, New York. It's really not very "Washington" at all, in my opinion. I hope that someday they are able to open a real brewery in D.C., but from what I know, this isn't happening anytime soon, if ever  :sad:

How about Tupper's Hop Pocket instead? A great hopperific ale

It's brewed by Old Dominion in Ashburn (well that's almost DC)

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W