• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crackers and savory cookies books

AlainV

There’s Duncan Manley’s book.

You might be able to track down (via a search at addall.com) a copy of the out-of-print Bite-Size Cookies and Savory Crackers from Cindy's Santa Fe Bite-Size Bakery by Cindy Brooks.

Bernard Clayton offers seven recipes for savoury crackers in his his New Complete Book of Breads: Onion, Plain Soda, Sesame, Knäckerbröd, Cheddar Cheese, and a buttery rich version.

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

I'm not aware of any book devoted strictly to those topics. Have you checked out http://www/chipsbooks.com yet? I think thats the best source for finding those topics.

I personally have made a few baked savories but have found the recipes I tried in other non-dedicated books. Is there anything in particular that your searching for recipe wise?

Over all, I have to admit I'm not fond of Claytons work (sorry). I have better luck with recipes from Martha Stewarts magazine. She's had several chefs publish savory cracker recipes.

G.J. Bellouet and J.M. Perruchon have a respectable amount of savory recipes published in their book "Apprenez L'Art des Petits Fours Sucre's et Sale's". I may be mistaken, but I think Michel Roux may have published some savory sables in the book he published with his brother years ago....I forget the exact title.....something like The Roux Brothers on Pastry........

I personally have made a few baked savories but have found the recipes I tried in other non-dedicated books. Is there anything in particular that your searching for recipe wise?

I just wanted to go a step further than the recipes in non-dedicated books. But it seems the book I am looking for doesnt' exist (at least for amateur cook - I won't spend 200$ for a professional book !).

I suggest Terence Janericco's "The Book of Great Hors D'Oerves' great section on crackers. It's a $50 book - but usually in stock at the chain bookseller's, in the Pro-Chef / catering section. Sit, read, take notes. Also - Duguid and Alfords' "Flatbreads and Flavors" for an international perspective.

Last evening I rediscovered a collection of recipes in my files for about a dozen types of savoury crackers, such as...Thin Wheat, Crispy Rye, Swedish Oat, Onion-Fennel, Peanut, Sesame Thins, Water Biscuits, Parmesan Rounds, as well as spicy-sweet, exotic Curry-&-Ginger Crackers which, I'm sure, would ideally accompany servings of Pumpkin Soup.

FYI, a basic cracker formula using 2 cups of flour will yield between 4 to 10 dozen crackers, depending upon how thin and what size you make them.

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

• 8 years later...

Can anyone who has this book share his or her opinion of it : Crackers and Dips - More than 50 handmade snacks by Ivy Manning?

Thanks.

I don't have this book yet, but I know Ivy and can say that she always does substantial recipe testing, so her recipes always work. I don't have the book but have seen a couple recipes from it online. Here's one for rye crackers: Swedish Caraway Rye Crisps and one for amaranth and cheddar crackers.

• 2 weeks later...

Martha Stewart always has cracker recipes -- try her Hors d'Oeuvres Handbook.

The Time Life Good Cook series has Cookies and Crackers.

There's also The Cookie and Cracker Book: 150 Unusual and Mouth-Watering Temptations by Anne Lanigan.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Can anyone who has this book share his or her opinion of it : Crackers and Dips - More than 50 handmade snacks by Ivy Manning?

Thanks.I have it, but haven't made anything out of it. Pleased with the purchase - recipes are diverse and sound great.

I have it too, though I haven't baked from it yet either.

I was pleased when I saw that Ivy was quite adamant about weighing the flour. An initial scan of the book reveled a eide range of crackers.