• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nice Chinese food album

Qing

I want to share some of my collection with everyone, please check out my eGullet album.

****Go to the: images.egullet.org

*****then click the: Member's Gallery

please reply me your opinions, i have pretty a lot of them.

Edited by Qing (log)

"All the way to heaven is heaven."

___Said by St. Catherine of Sienna.

Let's enjoy life, now!

Thanks for the link. Beautiful presentation of the razor clams, and that lamb looks tasty! Are these restaurant dishes, and is Wenxuecity.com who took the pictures your website?

Michael aka "Pan"

Haha, thank you Qing for bringing this album feature to my attention...I had too much difficulty in the past figuring out a way to share my pictures, but now in the albums section, you can find some of my better pictures of food, it makes me regret not taking more pics of the food though, hehe...

Haha, thank you Qing for bringing this album feature to my attention...I had too much difficulty in the past figuring out a way to share my pictures, but now in the albums section, you can find some of my better pictures of food, it makes me regret not taking more pics of the food though, hehe...

I was fascinated by your pic of the Chengdu "Street doufu".

Is this a sort of DIY doufu nao?

Can I franchise it?

I was fascinated by your pic of the Chengdu "Street doufu". 

Is this a sort of DIY doufu nao?   

Can I franchise it?

It was one of the dishes that I think makes South Beauty special. It comes out in that clear container in a very liquidy format, then they put the cover on and come back in a few minutes and it has sort of congealed together. When they take the lid off, they have one of the chefs come out and speak in Sichuanese dialect and a waiter/waitress translating...basically, they claim this is a very common, everyday street food in Chengdu (chengdude, can you help out with this?). They then ask if you want it sweet, salty, or spicy (it seems the people always go for the sweet after the extremely spicy meal) and mix the necesary things to give it that flavor.

This looks like something you can get on the streets of Manhattan's Chinatown and Flushing. The tofu is steamed in a big wooden container with a tight-fitting lid. You order a certain amount of it and it's given to you in a plastic container, with sauce poured on top. The sweet sugar-and-ginger sauce seems most common, but a place I know on Roosevelt Av. in Flushing will give you either sweet or hot sauce. The hot sauce is red and also has scallions in it, and it's very nice. As a sweet dessert, the tofu is very soothing. I've never seen 5 different sauces with it, though!

Michael aka "Pan"

It was one of the dishes that I think makes South Beauty special. It comes out in that clear container in a very liquidy format, then they put the cover on and come back in a few minutes and it has sort of congealed together. When they take the lid off, they have one of the chefs come out and speak in Sichuanese dialect and a waiter/waitress translating...basically, they claim this is a very common, everyday street food in Chengdu (chengdude, can you help out with this?). They then ask if you want it sweet, salty, or spicy (it seems the people always go for the sweet after the extremely spicy meal) and mix the necesary things to give it that flavor.

It sounds like doufu nao (which Shanghainese call doufu hua). When freshly curded it looks like brains, hence the "nao." On the street in Shanghai it's usually sold heavily laced with chili oil; if done right, it's the fieriest food you'll encounter in Shanghai. It's typically a breakfast food, and a great way to start the day with clear sinuses. I've never encountered a sweet version, which I probably wouldn't have the stomach for anyway.

I've never encountered a sweet version, which I probably wouldn't have the stomach for anyway.

If you're talking about the same thing that I'm talking about (daufu fa in Cantonese), the only version I've had is the sweet dessert you can often find at dim sums.

Edited to add: I love that stuff! :biggrin:

Edited by Laksa (log)

Chengb, I like your pictures.

I must do more hard work to catch up! Ha..ha.. :rolleyes:

I also read some Culinary web site in Chinese, Mr. Lao Fan is one of the host in Wenxuecity.com, which is a very popular Chinese website.

If anyone need to so some research in Chinese food in Chinese website, I am always availble.

"All the way to heaven is heaven."

___Said by St. Catherine of Sienna.

Let's enjoy life, now!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following a young Eurasian lady's foodblog. I mentioned her in the Bi-racial thread.

Just now, I was reading her entries on Wuhan. . . with very nice pictures. One of the dishes was tofu and 400 year old eggs. Others were tomatoe and scrambled eggs, and jiaozi made with tomato filling.

Have a look. :cool:

http://www.wrappedindough.com/archives/200...kend_3.php#more

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I've been following a young Eurasian lady's foodblog. I mentioned her in the Bi-racial thread.

Just now, I was reading her entries on Wuhan. . . with very nice pictures. One of the dishes was tofu and 400 year old eggs.  Others were tomatoe and scrambled eggs, and jiaozi made with tomato filling.

Have a look.  :cool:

http://www.wrappedindough.com/archives/200...kend_3.php#more

400 year old eggs? I've heard of "thousand year old eggs" and "hundred year old eggs" but that's a new one to me.

400 year old eggs?  I've heard of "thousand year old eggs" and "hundred year old eggs"  but that's  a new one to me.

A 400 year old egg would mean they started the curing process back at the beginning of the Ching Dynasty. That sounds about right.

Dejah: your friend mentioned they put "chive" on top of the tofu and 400 year old eggs. Then in the next few pictures, she mentioned scallions (green onions in the USA). Though similar, chive and scallions are different herbs/plants. I have never seen chives in China until I came to the USA. So I seriously doubt that those are chives, but just the same scallions, just finely chopped.

A lot of people misname scallions as chives and vice versa in the USA. One time I was dining at a Denny's. I asked the waitress to bring me some chives for my sour cream (with my baked potatoes). I really meant to have chives. She brought me a small dish of chopped scallions, and said "here's your chives". I told her that's scallions and just asked if they were out of chives and use scallions instead (which is okay though not as good). She insisted that those are chives... *sigh*

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

A 400 year old egg would mean they started the curing process back at the beginning of the Ching Dynasty. That sounds about right.

Dejah: your friend mentioned they put "chive" on top of the tofu and 400 year old eggs. Then in the next few pictures, she mentioned scallions (green onions in the USA). Though similar, chive and scallions are different herbs/plants. I have never seen chives in China until I came to the USA. So I seriously doubt that those are chives, but just the same scallions, just finely chopped.

Are gow choi not classified as chives...N.A chives are tubular, whereas Chinese chives, gow choi are flat?

Astrid did describe the 400 year old eggs are hard boiled then soak through in soya sauce.

She tried to register on eGullet but it was under construction and did not accept new members at that time. I should remind her to try again.

I see she has an entry on National Day now. Must check it out as my students were talking about it yesterday, and thought I should give them the day off. :wink:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com