• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mushroom Identification Classes

elrap

Mushroom hunters, wannabes, and the fungally curious:

Last year around this time, I ran across a stunning patch of chanterelles. They were the first I'd seen since hunting them in France over two decades earlier, and I ate a few over the violent objections of everyone in my family. They were delicious.

Curious to see what resources might be available for learning more about edible mushrooms in the NE area, I came across last year's version of the following link announcing the fall series of mushroom classes given in Cambridge by the Boston Mycological Club (America's oldest; over 100 years).

Boston Mycological Club Fall ID Classes

These are great classes given by extraordinarily knowledge people. They are an ideal introduction to the science and art of identifying edible (or just beautiful and interesting) mushrooms with some degree of confidence. I went last year - will go again this year - and highly recommend them.

If you catch the fungus fever, you are welcome to join the BMC and get a schedule of their weekly mushroom walks, which are hands-on collecting and ID sessions happening in woods and parks throughout the greater Boston area. Foodies note - you'll be in good company; Julia Child was a member for many years.

--L. Rap

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens

I signed up a couple of days ago after discovering BMC's website. How long are the classes?

Glad to have you there! Look for me, I have gray hair, glasses and a big nose, though that might not be much help!

Classes go maybe an hour and a half. It's a very informal group. Monday nights at the herbarium are also the nights when you can bring in mushrooms for the ID committee to look at. Lots of people bring in edible mushrooms, and you can also have a look at samples of whatever got picked on the Sunday walk.

Some classes last year got crowded and were SRO. It might be good to come early. Also, parking is a pain unless you're a member and have a sticker to park behind the herbarium. There's a lot of contruction going on in front of the place, which is at the very end of a cul de sac, but don't be discouraged!

--L. Rap

--Wallace Stevens

I went to the Mushroom Dinner that Ben Maleson presided over at Harvest, in Cambridge; it was fantastic! Well, the sampler dinners at Harvest are always a good deal...May have to sign up for the classes to get my foraging credentials; just took a trip to Alaska that convinced me I need to be more self-sufficient! :wink:

You can bring mushrooms to any class. Monday nights are official ID nights. There are lots of people there that can help you identify a particular mushroom.

Glad to hear you liked the dinner, galleygirl! I couldn't make it. This year it's at Flora, I'm going to try a little harder.

--L. Rap

--Wallace Stevens