• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sausages in Toronto

kymbrlee

I have some suggestions:

Segovia in Kensigton Market (Augusta west side just north of Baldwin) has

quite a few types of chorizo. We like them.

Vendor in north St. Lawrence market (southeast corner) has a large selection

of sausages. Some are a little too salty for my taste but that's me.

Highland Farms on Dufferin has a very nice Barese sausage I'd go out of my

way for. Their others are okay but nothing special.

Cheers.

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

Elizabeth Deli (really a Hungarian Butcher) on Bloor at Brunswick (just east of Bathurst) has about as big a selection of sausages as I've seen. Some quite interesting like lamb and mint.

Also the Bloor Meat Market in Bloor west Village has an excellent and tasty selection, as I remember it.

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

• 1 year later...
Elizabeth Deli (really a Hungarian Butcher) on Bloor at Brunswick (just east of Bathurst) has about as big a selection of sausages as I've seen. Some quite interesting like lamb and mint.

Sorry to say that Elizabeth's is now closed.

You could try the Portuguese butchers around Dundas W and Dovercourt for Portuguese-style chourizo, but I don't know if I can say they are world class.

I obtain my Hungarian csabai and farmer's sausage from somebody who sets up a display in the Yorkdale mall on Wednesdays or Thursdays. I think they bring them in from Barry. I also buy my smoked pork hocks from them.

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

I obtain my Hungarian csabai and farmer's sausage from somebody who sets up a display in the Yorkdale mall on Wednesdays or Thursdays.  I think they bring them in from Barry.  I also buy my smoked pork hocks from them.

Well, that's an unexpected source! Does Yorkdale have a decent farmers' market?

Sorry to say that Elizabeth's is now closed.

You could try the Portuguese butchers around Dundas W and Dovercourt for Portuguese-style chourizo, but I don't know if I can say they are world class.

Welcome to egullet, Kev.

Keep posting...

...jay

Well, that's an unexpected source! Does Yorkdale have a decent farmers' market?

Just a few producers of baked goods and that charcuitrie from Barry. Very limited unlike the one on Fridays on the Queensway side of Sherway Gardens.

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

I like the Macedonian sausages that Alex Farms sell frozen.

I also like the sausages from Whitehouse meats.

But my favourite, is probably The Butcher Shop on Yonge in between Lawrence and Eglinton on the West side (across from sporting life). They are 100% organic, and are pretty unusual. My favourites are Lamb and Spinach and Pork with stilton.

I have custom ordered meat from this shop for awhile and never been let down by the quality.

Mark

A few other possible sausage places...

Now that Elizabeth's is closed, there is another Hungarian shop farther along Bloor W - on the north side, in Korea Town between Bathurst and Christie. I don't think they have the variety of Elizabeth's, but their 'spicy' and 'non-spicy' chorizo-style sausages you'll see hanging along the right are good quality.

Even farther, on the south side of Bloor W near Ossington, there is an Italian butcher - 'Gasparro's' I think - selling free range chickens and other more natural stuff. Their pork sausages are nice.

I've heard good things about Cumbrae's Naturally Raised Fine Meats on Church St. And I've had a v.good lamb w/rosemary and feta sausage from there at someone's BBQ.

• 2 weeks later...

A caution about Vince Gasparro's, even though I earlier recommended it...

They have some nice stuff, but check what you buy as I think they try to unload the less fresh bits to unfamilar or unaware customers. They'll give discounts off prices displayed, too, but someone had also said they've been overcharged. Who knows?

Nearby on BloorW, on the N. side, there is another butcher shop which I think might be called Venezia (or something similar - I'll check). I've heard they're good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
I'm afraid I've forgotten the name, but there is a greek butcher shop on the south side of Danforth just east of Logan (west of Pape) which makes leek pork sausages and orange peel pork sausages that are just fantastic.

It's called Louis Meats & Delicatessan

I am no expert but I truly love all of the different types of sausage at pusateri's.

For sure there sweet and hot italian sausage is good, but there calabrese fennel sausage is just plain awesome.

They also do a ton of specialty sausages. I have enjoyed asome very good chorizo, as well as a couple of other very nice sauasages from there.