• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Belgian Beer dinner @ Supreme

Anyone else going?

Menu is here.

Wednesday September 22nd @ 6:30 we will host an incredible evening tasting 10 different Belgian andBelgian style ales from Belgium, Canada and the United States. Sommelier Jake Kosseff, Chef Joel Lewis & Matt Yount, our very special guest, will take you through 5 courses paired with two beers per course. Although many if not all of the beers many be unknown to you, if you are a fan of beer, you will be amazed at the richness and depth of the various flavor profiles these beers present. Matt Yount, considered Seattle’s foremost expert on Belgian beers, will intrigue you with the colorful history of these beers that in some cases have been brewed since the 1500s. The cost of the event is $55 per person excluding tax and gratuity and is already looking to be a sell out.

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who couldn't make it: You missed a fabulous evening of beer, and a disappointing evening of food.

The canapes were fine, if uneventful. The starter of seared scallop and foie gras mousse was truly divine. But the glazed short rib was unforgivably tough. Even though it was literally falling off the bone (I suspect some pre-cooking scoring of the meat) it was seriously undercooked. Its pomegranate glaze was bilious, and the game broth it was served in was greasy. Dessert was inedible: a bitter chocolate-chipotle crust -- could they really have used chiles en adobo? that's sure what it tasted like! -- topped with unappetizing-looking figs and surrounded by a could-there-be-a-worse-pairing of lime creme anglaise: Bleah. I took one bit and pushed the plate away... and was amazed to see other people eating and even finishing it. <shudder>

The beers were all lovely; our favorties were the De Proef Reinaert Wild Ale, Brewery Ommegang Three Philosophers, and the Urthell Samaranth Quadrenium -- all for very different reasons. We also enjoyed the facts and anecdotes Matt Yount (of Click Distributing) shared about the beers he served.

Oh, and we had the same haughty waitress that we suffered during our Dinner at 8 visit, who reprised her trick of asking if you were done with a 1/4-full drink, waiting for you to say "not yet," and then whisking it away anyway. Is she the worst server in Seattle? She certainly gets my vote...

~A

edited for a typo -- that's what I get for trying to use a $2 word like bilious

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

For those of you who couldn't make it: You missed a fabulous evening of beer, and a disappointing evening of food.

Did you taste any Flemish reds? One of my favorites is Duchess de Bourgogne, which I didn't see on the menu, but maybe you tasted a different one? It's a revelation in a glass, and we're luckily enough here in Portland to find it on tap (the only way it tastes right, sadly) at Higgins occasionally. I've drunk it for dessert all by it's lonesome, which is how it has to be at $10/quaff. The dessert you describe sounds like a bloody nightmare.

regards,

trillium

ps - what happened to insisting that threads are marked with their geographical location? hee hee...couldn't resist....

Did you taste any Flemish reds?  One of my favorites is Duchess de Bourgogne, which I didn't see on the menu, but maybe you tasted a different one?

The menu tracks with what we tasted -- no special additions or any surprises. I remember Matt Yount saying that one of the later beers was a typical red, but now I can't remember which one. Matthew? Cameron? Anyone remember?

I'm definitly looking forward to Bottleworks opening their brasserie so that we can try out more Belgians on tap.

ps - what happened to insisting that threads are marked with their geographical location?  hee hee...couldn't resist....

It's true, mea culpa. :blush: I noticed the omission a while back, but since we can't edit headlines, I'm at a loss...

I was one of those fools who finished the dessert but I swear it was just because of all beer I'd had before; I agree that it wasn't very good.

On the other hand, I have only good things to say about the game broth - no grease in mine, and it was quite tasty.

We didn't have the waitress problem, either.

I was one of those fools who finished the dessert but I swear it was just because of all beer I'd had before; I agree that it wasn't very good.

On the other hand, I have only good things to say about the game broth - no grease in mine, and it was quite tasty.

We didn't have the waitress problem, either.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that anyone was foolish! (Damn, this is NOT my day!) Rather, I just wondered what they were tasting (or not tasting!) that I was(n't).

Glad your game broth was good. I agree it was tasty once you got past the floating globs of fat, and Cam had no complaints, so perhaps I just got an especially greazy portion.

~A

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

I have to agree with ScorchedPalate: the beers were great, but a lot of the food was terrible. My broth was fine too, but the short rib was way, way underdone. I am cooking some short ribs right now to wash away the bad memories.

My favorite beers were La Fin Du Monde, which is always a delight, and the Wild Ale. Possibly others, but I got completely hammered and can't remember anything Matt Yount said about a red ale or anything else after the first half hour or so.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May