• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suppliers

I'm usually in the Pastry & Baking Forum but have a question specific to location so I thought you may be able to help.

I'm going to be the baker for a new coffee shop opening in Abbotsford. I haven't worked in food service before, aside from fast food in highschool, and I'm trying to track down a food supplier (as far away as Vancouver is fine). I have made contact with Neptune and they are sending me a quote but I haven't found the yellow pages very helpful and I'm not comfortable calling a local bakery to find out who they use. Can anyone give me other suggestions? How has service been? Who has the best prices, etc.

I also need to outfit the kitchen with smallwares so I read the cookware thread with interest. It's good to know about Genesis and Dunlevy. The coffee shop owners bought their large appliances at Budget Foods. I have also been in contact with Digi Canada but they both use the same catalogue for smallwares and they don't offer much info on the items. Are Genesis and Dunlevy better? If I go down there do they have a lot in stock or on display that I can look at?

Thanks for all your help!

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Yen Brothers---> Vancouver, 604-255-6522 (general stuff)

Central Foods ---> Vancouver, 604-271-8380 (produce)

Snow Cap---> 604-278-4870 ( Bakery Ingredient Supplier)

Hills Foods--->Vancouver, 604-421-3100 (speacilty meats)

Deluxe Seafood--->vancouver, 604-662-7999

Albion Seafood---> vancouver, 604-875-9411

Russel Food equipment--->vancouver

Genesis Food equipment--->vancouver

Puddifoot---> Housewares, Vancouver, 604-263-0971

Konings Sysco ( big Daddy)( USA)

Gordon Douglas, Neptune foods ( big daddy) ( Can)

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook