• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Penzey's in Boston!

Penzey's Spice House, a Milwaukee establishment that has run an amazing on-line store for years, had a contest to see where they should open a new store. The Winner is Boston (go to pg 16-17 of this pdf file)!

If you haven't been to their website, you should check it out. Not only are the spices about a jillion times better than your local store (unless you have a Penzey's, of course), but they are far, far cheaper. Save for speciality items (some Mexican chiles and some asian ingredients), I haven't bought spices anywhere else for 15 years.

If you don't believe me, you should look in the back of a few of your cookbooks at the "Sources" listings.....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 6 months later...
<Bump>

Anyone know the status of the Boston area Penzey's?  Is it open?  If so, where?

It isn't listed on their website.

The Globe and an article about this several weeks ago. The new store will be opening within the next several months (before fall, I don't remember the time frame the said) and will be in Arlington.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I don't recall the precise address but I uderstand it will be on Mass Ave in Arlington. It was chosen over other Boston area locations because the location was central to both city and suburn as well as parking availability--and probably the real estate was more affordable than downtown. Earlier reports indicated that it should be open by end of May.

I've been buying Penzey's spices mail order for years now and will swear by their quality and value. Plus I like the fact that you can order small 1/4 cup containers of just about every spice they have--it lets me try new things without breaking the bank as well as not get stuck with old, stale spices. Do check out their web site. I'm very excited to have a retail operation in the area.

• 2 weeks later...

I just drove by the new location of Penzey's when I was in Boston this past weekend. It is located at the old "Boston Market" take-out restaurant location on Massachusetts Avenue in Arlington Heights (near the intersection of Mass. Ave. with Park Ave.). I was surprised to see it there. It looks as though it is still under construction. I did not see a notice with an opening date, but it looks like it will be opening soon.

"Some ladies smoke too much and some ladies drink too much and some ladies pray too much, but all ladies think that they weigh too much."

From a poem by Ogden Nash - Curl Up and Diet

I just drove by the new location of Penzey's when I was in Boston this past weekend.  It is located at the old "Boston Market" take-out restaurant location on Massachusetts Avenue in Arlington Heights (near the intersection of Mass. Ave. with Park Ave.).  I was surprised to see it there.  It looks as though it is still under construction.  I did not see a notice with an opening date, but it looks like it will be opening soon.

What is the parking situation like? Is there a parking lot or is it on-street.

The parking in Arlington Heights gets challenging at peak times on the weekend, but there is lots of space on Mass Ave, as well as Park Ave, and the new store has a lot of parking around it which is used for all-purpose parking now, but I wonder if it will be exclusively for their customers -- if so, it should be no problem getting a spot. Otherwise, try some of the side streets nearby -- there are no non-resident prohibitions during the day in Arlington Heights.

• 4 weeks later...

We happened to be in Arlington yesterday, and Penzey's is open for business. I had my three-year-old with me, so couldn't do much browsing, but I did manage to spend almost $75 anyway. :blink:

We had no trouble with parking.

Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author

The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

hurray! never mind that I did a mail order only about a month ago.

Try their double-strength vanilla extract. If I don't need the bean, it's the only extract I'll use..