• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

bread in hoboken or surrounding area

glenn

I've been getting my bread for my chemistry experiments in the city but I'm out and need some today. If anyone's awake, where can I get thick white bread and 7 grain and baguettes or ciabatto rolls? It doesn't have to be great, but lend itself well to cooking in a panini press.

Meltshake will be open 24/7 in its temporary HQ, my apt. This is so much fun.

I really need to find a local place for bread while I'm experimenting. Dom's and a couple of others I tried don't have slicers that slice thicker than 1/2" and I need about 1". And I don't feel like cutting my own bread. Anyone know of a decent place that slices to your liking?

The '3 Big Players' in Hoboke with the best bread... Dom's, Marie's, and the Antique Bakery.

From what i can tell of the three, Marie's does the biggest wholesale business (under a different name... Policastro, or something like that) and might be your best chance.

BTW, what about 2nd Street Bakery in JC? I had some chicken stuffed bread there the other day and it was pretty good (although they didn't heat it up long enough).

Or Calandra's?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

If they sell to supermarkets, then I might as well go to the dang supermarket! I couldn't get phone listings for either Calandra's or Texara. But I may as well go to the city already. I didn't realize it at first, but I think what I'm looking for is something pretty specialized.

You couldn't find a listing as the correct name/spelling is:

Teixeira Bakery

There are a few locations listed in Newark, i'm not sure which is there actual bakery (which i've seen, near close to Rte 1&9, it's a true factory).

Here is a link to Verizon listing all of the locations: VERIZON LINK.

Today i went to the 2nd Street Bakery in Jersey City and thought of you as i waited to be served. Brought home chcken parm hero and meatball parm heros... good stuff!

Today i went to the 2nd Street Bakery in Jersey City and thought of you as i waited to be served.  Brought home chcken parm hero and meatball parm heros... good stuff!

My question earlier was actually where on 2nd is THIS place, not Maria's. How did you find it?

You really need to check out Lombardi's on Newark near Monmouth. Great Italian deli, brick oven pizza and a to die for chicken francaise sandwich.

My question earlier was actually where on 2nd is THIS place, not Maria's.  How did you find it?

You really need to check out Lombardi's on Newark near Monmouth.  Great Italian deli, brick oven pizza and a to die for chicken francaise sandwich.

Second Street Bakery & Italian Food Center

402 Second St.

Jersey City, NJ

(201) 420-1793

When i stayed at the Hyatt in THIS THREAD i mentioned the following:

Had lunch at Lombardi's, a meatball parm hero and a chicken parm hero. Chicken was much better than the meatball, although the cheese (homemade mozzarella) on each was very good. Owners and staff very friendly, although i wouldn't leave Hoboken for either of these sandwiches (as i enjoy my local sub places here better)... but if you're in the area it's a solid place to stop at.

Before ending up at Lombardi's had tried to get to the 2nd Street Bakery but they were closed.

I forget how i found out about the bakery, but the Second Street bakery is about 2 blocks from Lombardi's. I'm no Magaellan but i would guess it's just south of Lombardi's.

The bakery is small, the hours are limited, there is no place to eat, the counter service is slow... but boy is the food good! Last time i stopped by i had some 'chicken stuffed bread' (similar to a pizzeria's chicken roll, but smaller) which was a bargain at $1.50 (you'll need a couple for a lunch... they also come in other varities such as peperoni, sausage, meatball, etc). They heat these up for you but not long enough, and since there is no place to eat there anyway, best bet is to just take them home and heat up in your own oven.

Today they were sold-out of the stuffed breads so i took home a large chicken parm hero ($5) and a small meatball hero ($3)... the wife and I split them both. Both were excellent, with the chicken being superior to the meatball, but i would be content eating either if they were in front of me now :smile:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I am so depressed with the results. It seems nobody can accomodate slicing a bread to a custom thickness. Well, Eli's can -- but it's doubtful they will. They can slice 1", no more no less - other than the standard, but they have no customers so they're not doing it for now. I tried Texeira, Calandras, Tom Cat and Sullivan Street Bakery. Balthazar seems to have a problem answering the phone. From what I understand, an adjustable slicer is upwards of $5000 so that makes little sense. I know a place to buy wholesale in Bklyn, Bakery of NY, but I need a source for now while I'm working on the menu. If anyone can think of something, I'd be eternally grateful.

Success! Balthazar's has exactly what I'm looking for [thank you Rachel.] I walked out with more samples than I could carry.

According to the salesperson, the reason I had so much trouble finding what I wanted is that adjustable slicing machines are not made any more. Balthazar has an old model.

Anyway, thanks again everyone.

Second Street Bakery & Italian Food Center

402 Second St.

Jersey City, NJ

(201) 420-1793

thereuare, you rule! This place is a total find and I'm bewildered how you were able to sniff it out. I live a 1/4 mile away and I never ever drive/walk down this part of 2nd St, mainly cuz it leads nowhere and there's basically nothing on it. Except Second Street Bakery. I plan to become more acquainted with this place. Had a couple of stuffed breads which completely filled me up for $3.