• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations University District - Seattle

Do you want recommendations specifically for places in the U District, or will you be going around town? (There's good bus service to downtown from there.) Any particular type of food? Places in the U District tend to be low-budget ethnic restaurants popular with students, some good, some not. Let us know what you're looking for.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

If you want to get a fancy sit down dinner, you'll have to get out of the U-District. If you are just hanging out and want good, afordable food in a casual atmosphere, you have many good choices. As a UW employee, I recommend the following:

On the "Ave" (University Way):

Best of Bento (Japanese sushi and Bento boxes)

Chipotle (Burritos & Tacos)

Thai-ger (Thai)

Thai Tom (Thai)

Pagliacci (Pizza)

Ichiro (Japanese & Korean)

Costas (Greek)

Cafe Allegro (breakfast, sandwiches)

Wing Dome (Wings, sandwiches, burgers)

Schultzy's (sausages, burgers)

China First (Chinese)

Ruby (Noodle bowls & salads)

Flowers (various)

On Boat Street at the south end of the Ave:

Agua Verde (healthy Mexican)

Montlake (take the number 43 or 48 busses south from the U-District)

Cafe Lago (Wood-fired pizza and lasagna)

there are also several Indian and Vietnamese restaurants on and off the Ave that I haven't been to, so can't recommend any in particular.

There are also several decent restaurants at the University Village shopping district, or you can take a #44 bus (West) and check out Wallingford (about 10 minutes about) and Ballard (20 minutes), where there are tons of great places to eat.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Also where are you staying? The University Best Western on Brooklyn and 45th is very cool art deco-ish and the lounge, The District, has a good happy hour. Also we think Perkengruven on the Ave has the best coffee. If your there on a Sat. don't miss the farmers market- corner of Brooklyn and 50th. The yummiest struedles made fresh by the Struedle lady, as we call her!

We also like Cedars indian food, corner of Brooklyn and 50th.

Just about the only place I'll eat in the U District (and I spend a lot of time in the neighborhood, since I'm a grad student) is Than Bros. Pho at 4207 University Way.

Agua Verde is pretty good and has a nice view.

The 71-72-73 express buses from University Avenue to downtown takes all of 10 minutes, if you'd like to get out of the neighborhood.

I forgot to mention if you are staying at the University Inn (or any other hotel) on Roosevelt, that the Portage Bay Cafe is excellent, but there can be a line during weekday lunches.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Portage Bay rocks for breakfast and lunch, cedars is good for dinner. Long lines during the school year.

Take the bus down the viaduct and visit Union Bay Cafe. I believe it is one the bus line, but I can't remember what number.

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

Thank you for your recommendations. We do tend toward ethnic places (we moved here to Orcas from NYC). You have given us alot of choices. I was hoping a university area would have alot of ethnic places. Thanks again. I love Orcas restaurants, but they are not ethnic.

Some other good, ethnic, budget-friendly (read: grad-student approved) restaurants not yet mentioned:

Aladdin - on the South end of the Ave., good falafel

Tandoor - Indian, North end of Ave.

Continental - Greek, North end of Ave.

You do sacrifice a bit of ambiance compared to dining in other neighborhoods, but the Ave. is convenient to plenty of good, cheap ethnic restaurants. With the right company, these places can be more fun to explore than fancier ones.

If you are going to be walking around the area, you should stop by Scarecrow video just to take a look at their video selection. They offer the LARGEST selection of international/independant films you will ever see! Fun place to just walk around and browse. George, the original owner, was the most passionate movie watcher I've ever met.

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

For Indian food, I reccomend Tandoor - on University Way and 50th. Kai's on 43's and University Way has a fun little happy hour and drink specials.

To round out your UW visit, you really do need to get drunk at Earl's or have one too many beers at the Big Time brewery... not that I've ever done either of those things. :wacko: