• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eureka! (or how to cut onions with no tears)

bloviatrix

I was also surprised to discover that green onions can cause me to tear up, as well.  Granted I was chopping up about a crate full, but by the end I was crying like a Tammy Faye Baker.

Even chives can make me tear up!!! Blovie keeps razzing me that as long as I tear over onions I'll never be taken seriously as a home cook. :shock: And contrary to Soba's comment that he's less suseptible to the fumes, I've gotten more sensitive over time.

So those of us with perfect vision will just have to continue suffering while chopping onions.....    :wink:

Have you ever wanted an excuse to change your eye color with tinted lenses? This is your chance. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I'm a swim goggles and very sharp knife woman myself - the bread [or cracker] in the mouth never worked for me - I think the theory is that breathing through the mouth minimizes tears

If tears = flavor, okay. (Ala "Like Water for Chocolate")

A very experienced and reliable cook recently told me that newly harvested, fresh onions don't make you tear - old onions do. I've found this to be true - and the sweet fresh onions have plenty of flavor.

If tears = flavor, okay. (Ala "Like Water for Chocolate")

A very experienced and reliable cook recently told me that newly harvested, fresh onions don't make you tear - old onions do. I've found this to be true - and the sweet fresh onions have plenty of flavor.

I disagree. Fresh onions have a higher water content than older onions. More water = less flavor.