• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Grocery Stores in Philadelphia

Sartain

I'm having some trouble finding spices for an upcoming Indian food gathering, the top on the list being black cumin seeds. Does anyone out there know where I can get some in Philly?

I've tried the spice sellers in Reading Terminal, the Italian Market, and actually struck out this past weekend in New York City too (alright, I just went to one Indian grocery store on 6th and 1st). I'd really appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Stephenie

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

Can anyone suggest a grocery where I can find in one place: curry leaves, sambhar powder, and asafoetida. I want to make a batch of Suvir's tomato chutney while the tomatoes are at their peak. But I'd rather not run all over town. Thanks

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Can anyone suggest a grocery where I can find in one place: curry leaves, sambhar powder, and asafoetida.  I want to make a batch of Suvir's tomato chutney while the tomatoes are at their peak.  But I'd rather not run all over town.  Thanks

The only Indian grocery I definitely know of is on Walnut, just west of the Restaurant School, same side of the street. No farther west than 45th St.

I'd start there.

I suspect there's an Indian market somewhere in Cherry Hill as well, just not sure where.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

The only Indian grocery I definitely know of is on Walnut, just west of the Restaurant School, same side of the street.  No farther west than 45th St.

I'd start there.

I suspect there's an Indian market somewhere in Cherry Hill as well, just not sure where.

I think this is the same place I would suggest. Between 41st and 42nd on Chestnut. I was there last night. It is an Indo-Paki place called RICE AND SPICE, In between KABOBEESH: the Pakastani BBQ Diner and the Church with no steeple (rubble).

Edited by beercancan (log)

They eat, they drink, and in communion sweet

Quaff immortality and joy.

--John Milton

I think this is the same place I would suggest. 44th ad Walnut or so. Was there last night. It is a Pakastani place called RICE AND SPICE, right next to the KABOBEESH, a good spicy Pakistani BBQ in a silver dining car.

Wow, that's fast. I'll check them out. Thanks.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Try the store at 40th and Chestnut (next to the 7-11).  It's called "International Market" or something like that, and they've got a good selection of Indian groceries.

There is another post like this, but I tell you the same, and have the lamb chobs at Kabobeesh.

RICE AND SPICE: Between 41st and 42nd on Chestnut. I was there last night. It is an Indo-Paki place in between KABOBEESH: the Pakastani BBQ Diner and the Church with no steeple (rubble).

--John Milton

I think this is the same place I would suggest. Between 41st and 42nd on Chestnut. I was there last night. It is an Indo-Paki place called RICE AND SPICE, In between KABOBEESH: the Pakastani BBQ Diner and the Church with no steeple (rubble).

No that's different, that's on Chestnut, meaning there's another one a few blocks from the one I'm thinking of.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Try the store at 40th and Chestnut (next to the 7-11).  It's called "International Market" or something like that, and they've got a good selection of Indian groceries.

Yes, this is our favorite place in Philly, 40th & Chestnut. They have everything. Just there last week.

Also, if in NYC try Kaluystan's. 123 Lexington Ave. around Les Halles/Bourdain restaurant area.

GREAT spice shop. The best in the country for everything. We even order internet from them. It's a bit overwhelming, cause they have enormous amounts of every item.

For a treat try their extra spicy cashews in bulk (vindaloo cashews? or something...). You can handle, maybe, one cashew before your mouth blows up. But delicious.

If you go there, upstairs they have the best felafel sandwich I've ever had. Like $6 and big enough for two to split.

Philly Francophiles

Also, if in NYC try Kaluystan's. 123 Lexington Ave. around Les Halles/Bourdain restaurant area.

GREAT spice shop. The best in the country for everything.

Kaluystan's is great but if you're going all the way to NYC you should also check out Sahadi's at 187 Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn www.sahadis.com

It might be even better

--John Milton

If you're automotively mobile and out in the 'burbs, there is a well stocked purveyor of subcontinental spices and such on 202 in King of Prussia hidden in the US Petro gas station between Allandale Road and Henderson Road.

I believe the shop trades as Royal India, and their signage indicated they opened another branch out in Malvern somewhere or other.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

There are 2 threads going here about these Spice Markets. One is Rice and Spice on Chestnut. The other is International Market on Walnut. They are both around 41st or 42nd.

--John Milton

There are 2 threads going here about these Spice Markets. One is Rice and Spice on Chestnut. The other is International Market on Walnut. They are both around 41st or 42nd.

--John Milton