• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Porto Leggero

glenn

Sorry, but Sept 28th is out for me; have a lunch mtg that I can't reschedule.

I'm free on the 27th, 29th or the 1st,and any day teh week of the 4th except the 7th.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I'm open the week of 10/11 except for that Friday...

Or should we try to do this ( :shock: horror!) AT NIGHT instead if it's easier for people to get there?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Let's try it for lunch first. How about 10/14? Who's in?

In!

2 PM is no good?

There's a lot of construction now and things might change. For now, it's pretty simple. Take Columbus Ave. down almost as far as you can go and make a left on Greene. Park in the Harborside Parking lot which is immediately on your right. There's a guard there who will give you the first degree (or maybe I just looked suspicious) and will direct you how to get to the restaurant from the lot. It's all very simple. For now that is. PL will validate your parking ticket.

If you don't know how to get to Columbus Ave - here's the long but easy way. Take Newark Ave. towards downtown (east), make a right on Jersey Ave. and Columbus is a few blocks. Make a left on Columbus.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if the crowd above made it here but i did on a recent Saturday nite:

The restaurant was very hard to find and we got a little lost so take the above directions with your when you go.

The restaurant is set-up very nice and somewhat upscale, with one side a brick wall in which the bricks were brought in from an old building someplace (PA maybe?) Lots of deep red and gold and an overall relaxing and subdude feeling.

The food was very good and the service even better. The menu is set up like none i've seen before. The left side of the menu lists an item, and then if you follow across to the right side it is the same meat but prepared a slightly different way. They're very accomodating and will make just about anything you want if the ingredients are in the kitchen.

Appetizers were calamari (i didnt' taste but didn't look like anything special... served with a mild sauce and a spicy sauce, both on the side), a salad, mozzarella and tomoato with roasted peppers, and a pasta and shrimp dish. I had the pasta and shrimp dish which was good, not excellent, and had a little 'kick' to it.

Entrees: i had a chicken capriccio(?) which was pounded thin and very good, same dish was ordered but in veal, my wife had a shrimp dish which was also very good, and i forget the other entree. Serving sizes were pretty hearty and filling.

The owner/matre 'd is personable and made sure to visit, greet, and talk to every table. He was very friendly and made sure to make everyone feel special and let it be known that your business was appreciated.

The restauarnt was quiet on a Saturday nite but given the area i suspect they do a booming lunch business with the Wall Street West crowd. They also seem to be pretty well connected with some local political figures so i can see this as another avenue for their word of mouth to grow.

It's a little bit pricier than i typically would spend on a meal in this area, but i would certainly go again for a change of pace or for a special occaision.