• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread/Toast Spreads

Anna N

perhaps more brunch than breakfast,on toast with this benedictine spread http://saveur.com/article.jsp?ID=4337&typeID=120 --add smoked salmon...mmm

Sounds like my kind of spread but I would skip the green food colouring as it would remind me too much of a barrack-mate who kept creme de menthe under her bed to ward off morning sickness. :wacko:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I think that I've posted about this elsewhere, but this stuff is always to be found in my fridge... It's an adaptation of recipes for various tahini sauces that I've found - this is much thicker and a definite spread.

Take...

The juice of one lemon

A tablespoon of water

A teaspoon or thereabouts of soy sauce

A tablespoon or so of sweet chilli sauce

A bit less than a teaspoon of sesame oil

About a third of a jar of tahini

Put all of the ingredients into a sealable container and shake vigourously - et voila. This is addictive on toast, especially with a thin coating of homemade chilli jam on top!

Liverwurst.

With bacon.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Somewhere in my vast collection of cookbooks there is a little book with the title of

Breakfast Breads and Teatime Spreads, that has a plethora of savory spreads (as well as sweet spreads) that are delicious any time of the day (or night) with tea or without and are extremely easy to make.

I have been trying to find the book, however, as so often happens when one is looking specifically for something, it has proven to be elusive.

I am sure that as soon as I stop looking, it will pop up on a shelf and stand there, looking as if it had been there all along, just overlooked by me.

It is enough to make one believe in the menehunes.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Liverwurst.

With bacon.

DEFINITELY!

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Somewhere in my vast collection of cookbooks there is a little book with the title of

Breakfast Breads and Teatime Spreads, ....

Who would have thought that there is enough subject matter to warrant a whole book? But with my recent luck at garage and charity sales - who knows - I just might find a copy. Thanks!

My 2004 eG Blog

Of course, with all these fine suggestions you must realize that there's a fine line between making toast with a spread and making an open-faced sandwich. If that happens then we'll be straying off-topic and all heck will break loose. :raz:

Perhaps we can get one of the roving SSB's to write up a quick dissertation about the difference between the two. :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Of course, with all these fine suggestions you must realize that there's a fine line between making toast with a spread and making an open-faced sandwich.  If that happens then we'll be straying off-topic and all heck will break loose. :raz:

Perhaps we can get one of the roving SSB's to write up a quick dissertation about the difference between the two.  :wink:

Not on my account! :biggrin: I married a Dane and KNOW what an open-face sandwich is.

My 2004 eG Blog

Shrimp Butter

8 oz cream cheese

1 stick butter

1 can baby shrimp, drained

1/4 C mayo

1 t lemon juice

1 T grated onion

salt, white pepper, Tabasco or other hot sauce to taste

Allow cheese and butter to come to room temperature. Blend all ingredients in food processor until smooth.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Peanut butter and Indian lime pickle is awfully nice.

Some left-over duxelle with Normandy cultured butter on toast when one has some.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 3 years later...

Ran out of marmite, butter and cheese prices through the roof, and getting sick of canned fish...my teenage son looks askance at my own breakfast favorite, which is olive oil and vinegar sprinkled on bread and topped with a herb or dukkah-ish mixture.

What he wants is a savory spread, preferably tomato-ey, for his breakfast toast or sandwich.

What he wants is something exciting, by tomorrow; what I want is something that keeps a little while on the shelf or in the fridge. My imagination stops at a pickled curry spread or a cold ratatouille or caponata...

Inspiration please, preferably with recipes or photos!

WEll, it's not a spread because you don't spread it, but here's something that may give you some ideas.

Using a favorite, well-toasted English muffin, hot from the toaster, I add a slice of good cheddar, about 1/8-inch thick, and sprinkle it with some very finely diced/minced chipotle or habanero peppers. The heat from the muffin melts the cheese to my preferred creaminess, and the peppers add a nice bite.

Been doing this for years, and recently discovered that there are cheddars now on the market that are infused with chipotle or habanero peppers, so that may make things even easier. Don't know how good these infused cheeses are except for the Bravo farms http://www.bravofarms.com/ cheddar, which I've tasted and liked quite a bit.

shel

... Shel

I've been noshing on this feta cheese spread all week:

Mix finely chopped drained sundried tomatoes, red onion or shallots, and flat-leaf parsely into softened cream cheese. Smash in some crumbled feta (goat cheese is good too). Fresh ground pepper and salt to taste. Sorry, no measurements! This stuff is so delicious on bread, toast, pita chips, crackers....

I also like toast with tapenade or leftover pasta sauce. Or lightly rubbed with a cut clove of garlic. Or roasted garlic smushed on top, drizzled with a bit of olive oil, and salt.

Ran out of marmite, butter and cheese prices through the roof, and getting sick of canned fish...my teenage son looks askance at my own breakfast favorite, which is olive oil and vinegar sprinkled on bread and topped with a herb or dukkah-ish mixture.

What he wants is a savory spread, preferably tomato-ey, for his breakfast toast or sandwich.

What he wants is something exciting, by tomorrow; what I want is something that keeps a little while on the shelf or in the fridge. My imagination stops at a pickled curry spread or a cold ratatouille or caponata...

Inspiration please, preferably with recipes or photos!

There is a restaurant near me that serves bread with a Caponata puree that is soooo good...but I dont know how to make it

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I like to combine Trader Joe's Greek Style yogurt (thick, about the consistency of cream cheese) with the SE Asian sweet chile sauce. Mae Ploy is my favorite brand.

Spread on toast or toasted muffins or hot scones, (or one of the sturdier-type biscuits) it has just enough "bite" to make it interesting and it goes very well paired with poached eggs.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Based on a recipe from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall - I've just harvested the plums from my tree and this is on the menu during the weekend.

Roast vanilla plums on toast

A lovely way to discover that plum-vanilla marriage. Serves 4.

About 12 plums

2 vanilla pods

Unsalted butter

About 60g fine sugar

4 thick slices crusty white bread

Preheat the oven to 375F. Halve the plums, remove stones, then arrange cut side up in a baking dish. Snip each vanilla pod into pieces about 1cm long, then place a piece in the hollow of each plum, along with a tiny scrap of butter and a teaspoon of sugar. Roast for about 20 minutes, or until they are tender and the syrupy juices are running.

Toast the bread and spread generously with butter. Spoon the plums and their hot, sticky juices on to the toast and serve at once with clotted cream or ice cream.

Rover

Homemade babaganouj? Eggplants are in season, right? I just char them on the grill and add lots of garlic, lemon juice, and sesame paste. I'm not sure it'll make him popular with his classmates, though. Alternatively, yogurt still seems to be pretty cheap - I drain mine in a coffee filter and add grated salted cucumber and lemon for a tzatziki twist.

Edited by nakji (log)

I like toast in the morning but don't like sweets that early so jam/marmalade are not my choice.  In desperation I will put ketchup on toast but would like something more interesting that I can whip up myself.  I have tried the flavoured cream cheeses and they are OK but I want something different and home-made.

A gift of a food processor (KitchenAid 11-cup with mini-bowl) only makes me think this should be easier than ever.

What is your favourite thing to have on toast in the morning that isn't sweet?  Do share. :smile:

I like butter and freshly grated asiago cheese or hummus with tomatoes and green onion. Toast needs to be made of Italian bread with sesame seeds.

Fitzie

Caramelized onions, herbs, and goat cheese.

Thinly sliced tomatoes, olives, and cheese.

Tomatoes and olivada.

There's a tofu spread for which I've misplaced the recipe that was delicious--what I do remember is well mashed firm tofu, soy sauce, and rice or cider vinegar...maybe sesame oil and a bit of garlic?

Really good ginger marmalade, with cream cheese

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”