• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread/Toast Spreads

Anna N

I like toast in the morning but don't like sweets that early so jam/marmalade are not my choice. In desperation I will put ketchup on toast but would like something more interesting that I can whip up myself. I have tried the flavoured cream cheeses and they are OK but I want something different and home-made.

A gift of a food processor (KitchenAid 11-cup with mini-bowl) only makes me think this should be easier than ever.

What is your favourite thing to have on toast in the morning that isn't sweet? Do share. :smile:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm not sure it would work for the morning, but I made a really tasty pesto-ish tapenade-ish spread for bruschetta a week or so ago (inspired by a favorite local restaurant). I didn't measure, so it's hard to put up amounts... on the other hand, with these ingredients, it's tough to really have a "bad" blend (in my opinion).

Put toasted walnuts (about 1 1/3 c), pitted kalamata olives (almost 1 small jar), some amount of fresh basil leaves (I used a lot, but not as much as I would for, say, a pesto), and 3-4-whatever cloves of garlic in the processor. Process until it is chopped fine, then pour in a thin stream of EVOO with the machine running until your desired consistency is reached. Put in bowl, and stir in about 2/3-3/4 c pecorino romano cheese.

Sorry I can't be more specific. It was a HUGE hit, even among people who don't know they like olives or walnuts! (They ate it without asking me what it was... I never told them, either!)

I'd suggest Toast Dope but it's sweet. I wonder if it's possible to make a savory version?

edited to add: pandorphus, that sounds great! I gotta try that.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

A nice change might be to blend cottage cheese with a generous amount of a variety of chopped herbs, a touch of lemon and a hint of garlic if you like it...add a touch of sour cream or cream cheese for a smoother texture....

this is nice on toasted whole grain breads...

'Egg Salad' of different seasonings can be good, too...plain, curried, herbed...

Homemade 'Devilled Ham' could be done....finely chopped ham with pickle relish, mayo, etc....

Thinly sliced Black Forest Ham laid quickly over a light slather of chutney...yum.

If you are ready for something heartier...check out the 'liverwurst' thread! :laugh: Very nice ideas there....

Black bread with smoked salmon and cream cheese....

Lemon curd on a biscuit or a light brown bread...

Getting hungry, gotta stop...

Once had this at a restaurant in Boston (sorry, can't remember the name), but I've tried to duplicate it ever since:

marinated olives (a good selection is nice: kalamata, nicoise, moroccan, oil-cured), pitted and chopped finely

roasted garlic, peeled and mashed

mayonnaise

cracked peppercorns or red pepper flakes

grated lemon peel

EVOO

Mix thoroughly. Chill overnight. Wonderful on hunks of Italian bread or a baguette.

Soba

I like to make goat cheese flavored with any number of things--lemon zest and thyme leaves, roasted garlic, cracked pepper, whatever sounds good. Great on any kind of toast--you can loosen it and make it spreadable by buzzing it in a food processor with a touch of cream.

Goat cheese and honey sandwiches on raisin bread are the bomb, btw.

I'd suggest Toast Dope but it's sweet.

I can't suggest anything better than Johnnybird's Toast Dope. It's sweet, but not drippy sweet, or else I wouldn't like it as much as I do. Just cut back on the sugar, maybe.... :wub:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Just this morning I had the last of some Tunisian carrot stuff on toast, and it made a very nice breakfast.

To make the carrot stuff, thoroughly cook some carrots, then mash them with a fork along with crushed garlic, harissa, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt till it's all mushy but still kind of lumpy.

My Mothers Kipper Pate

Take a kipper and fry it in plenty of good butter in the usual way. When cooked remove the back bone as as many boses as possible. Add a can of tomatoes, and some pepper. Mush up with a fork. Kepp cooking and turning until the liquid has evaporated and the thing is a consistent whole

peppered smoked mackerel or smoked trout pate - take 1-2 fillets of desired fish, peel the skin off if you're using the mackerel, pull it apart with a pair of forks like you're shredding a duck, flake into a pack of cream cheese (can use low fat, it doesn't affect the flavour), mulch about a bit with a fork until you like the consistency (chunky is nicest), check for seasoning, add chopped dill or lemon juice or chopped parsley. delicious on crunchy wholemeal toast. This is, in fact, what I'm eating right now! this also freezes well.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

while the bread's in the toaster, thinly slice (as in transparent) some mild or medium Gouda...when the toast pops, place the cheese on top and let it melt for a moment before enjoying. It's still good if the toast cools off, but melty cheesy goodness - that's a great way to get the motor running!

Duxelles definitely, also carmelized onions, and the sweet red pepper spread found in middle eastern markets.

Sometimes mixed together or spread in strips on a piece of toast so as the bites of toast progress, the flavors change.

Also homemade pimento cheese made with sharp cheddar

recently I have sacrificed some peppadews to a similar mixture made with a rich Cheshire.

However if you want something really tasty and somewhat different, take

4 oz of cream cheese, 4 oz of Stilton and 4 oz of chopped dried apricots.

Process until the apricots are finely distributed throughout the cheese.

Delicious and different.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I knew I could count on you. Lots of good ideas that I will be putting to the test.

I often have melted cheese on toast when it's in the house and love to sprinkle some garam masala over cheddar! Fish is about the only thing I just can't stomach before noon, however. Must be a holdover from my upbringing - kippers just don't do it for me.

Used to be a big fan of Marmite but bought a small jar a few years back and found it quite, quite revolting.

Like sun-dried tomato pesto sprinkled with some good parmesan and will make a batch of that to keep on hand as well as some of the other pesto-like suggestions.

Many thanks to all of you for some great suggestions. :wub:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A hunk of avocado smashed on top of toasted wheat bread, with a sprinkling of salt. This is my Chilean husband's breakfast tradition, and all our guests leave with a new breakfast craving. It is amazing! Some add a hint of lemon juice too.

A hunk of avocado smashed on top of toasted wheat bread, with a sprinkling of salt.  This is my Chilean husband's breakfast tradition, and all our guests leave with a new breakfast craving.  It is amazing!  Some add a hint of lemon juice too.

Mmmm, that sounds good to me. Today I ate an avocado with salt, pepper, and lemon juice for brunch, which I often do when I'm home. On toast is a great idea!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.