• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Romantic Restaurants

Rich Pawlak

What are your favorite romantic restaurants in the Philadelphia area, defined for my question as Philadelphia, the surrounding 5 counties of PA, and South Jersey? I'm working on something and I need your help.

Thanks in advance!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

My two favorites are:

Friday, Saturday, Sunday

and

Pigalle

If only Pigalle were open; it closed a few months ago, but I agree with you, it was.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Here would be my top 10 (not in any particular order):

Tangerine - sleek and very sexy

Pasion - more restrained but still quite sexy

Mallorca - don't care for the food but the starlit ceiling and french doors that open onto the sidewalk make for good romance

Umbria - quiet jazz playing, relaxed, original artwork on the walls, very nice

Founders - old school formality but a beautiful room with beautiful views

Fountain - formal but not too so, posh and chic

Twenty21 - don't care for the food but an exquisitly beautiful room, gorgeous bar that rises as high as the ceiling, perhaps the prettiest room in Philly

Lacroix - elegant and comfortable, a special romantic evening assured

Manon - lovely tiny candle-lit French restaurant in Lambertville, snuggle up with the one you love

Inn at Phillips Mill - stately and beautiful B&B in New Hope, sit by the fire and enjoy

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Oh, man, this is such a depressing thread! The only restaurants I can think of are defunct - Deja Vu, Knave of Hearts, Gaetano's...Le Bar Lyonnais is still around, right?! Some areas of Rose Tattoo are weirdly romantic. I remember the Black Bass in New Hope as a seductive spot. Or maybe it was the Golden Pheasant.

Obviously, I need to be taking my lady love out to nicer places.

owner, Rx

Overtures has a certain romantic charm as well.

Deux Cheminees is lovely - antique filled townhouse with fireplaces and exquisite service.

Dilworthtown Inn is very charming.

Definitely agree with Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Astral Plane is sort of

"funky romantic" - like eating in your Grandma's attic.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Oh, man, this is such a depressing thread! The only restaurants I can think of are defunct - Deja Vu, Knave of Hearts, Gaetano's...Le Bar Lyonnais is still around, right?! Some areas of Rose Tattoo are weirdly romantic. I remember the Black Bass in New Hope as a seductive spot. Or maybe it was the Golden Pheasant.

Obviously, I need to be taking my lady love out to nicer places.

deja vu was THE most beautiful restaurant. i have asked many people and few seem to remember it. gorgeous wine cellar and flowers

Savona in Gulph Mills.

Good One! I meant to put that on my list and spaced out.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 2 years later...

bumping this pre-Valentine's Day.

Karen Heller wrote an article about romantic restaurants in Philly, in the Inky.

She mentions Vetri, L'Angolo, Pumpkin, Siam Lotus, Vietnam, Beau Monde, Tangerine, Alma de Cuba, Amada, Waterworks (table 42 in particular), Friday Saturday Sunday, and Standard Tap.

Thoughts? Additions?

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I still stick by the original recs. Deux Cheminees, Overtures, Panorama (I was proposed to there so I'm biased, but it's still a very sexy room. And what could be bad about all that fabulous wine?) and Friday, Saturday, Sunday. I suspect the lovely view from XIX could be quite romantic with the lights of the city twinkling beneath you.

The company makes for a romantic place, n'est ce pas? If you're with the right person, even Mickey D's can be special. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I was proposed to in Ruth's Chris parking lot, so parking lots are romantic too! It was also pouring rain. I think Monk's Cafe is up there. It's so dark and there are so many people running around no one notices if something indecent is going on... not that I'd know :wub:

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

I'm sure the ladies will not agree, but nothing says "I love you just the way you are" like a white/spinich/tomato pie at Taconelli's...

and your best red wine out of their plastic cup says "I will love you in any situation!"

I belch, therefore, I ate...

I'm sure the ladies will not agree, but nothing says "I love you just the way you are" like a white/spinich/tomato pie at Taconelli's...

and your best red wine out of their plastic cup says "I will love you in any situation!"

Actually, I think it says she loves YOU just the way you are. But that's fine too. And so is the white/spinach/tomato pie at Taconelli's. It's my favorite there.

I myself prefer plastic stemware. Low rent, but still classy, no? :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Standard Tap is an interesting choice... I might not have chosen it as a "romantic" place, however, it is where I met my wife for the first time, so there is that. I might add Radicchio to the list... not coincidentally, this is where Cherie and I our first "real" dinner date after meeting. Being able to show up at a BYO on a motorcycle, in leathers with a bottle of wine stuffed in your jacket is our idea of "romantic"... and Radicchio was perfect. Had our first anniversary dinner there as well.

__Jason

I agree with Katren Heller's naming of Standard Tap; as soon as it was open, I thought it was one sexy romantic place.

I would also add:

Mandoline

Macaroni's (Old Bustleton Pike, NE Philly, trust me on this)

La Boheme (especially now that Olivier St Martin is running it)

La Terrasse

Overtures (the back room)

Chloe

Friday Saturday Sunday

the lounge at Barclay Prime

Warzaw Cafe

Brigid's

Avalon, West Chester, especially that back garden patio

The Inn At Phillips Mill, New Hope

Panorama

Tangerine

Rich Pawlak