• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southern cheese

wcmckinney

was disappointed to go into Whole Foods recently and not find them carrying Celebrity Dairy goat cheese, or really any local artisinal cheeses.

understood that Southern Season in Chapel Hill and the Carrborro farmer's market do carry such things, and they (artisinal cheese producers) have even poked their head out once or twice at the Raleigh State Farmer's Market.

so my questions are:

1. is there somewhere reliable to go in Raleigh to get good local cheese.

2. how is it that the South can contain both Clemson Blue Cheese and Hoop/Rat Cheese.

3. is it ever ok to like "sub-par" cheeses: i.e. Cheez-Whiz. While I am not CW fan, i must note that the Cheese Dip at Armadillo Grill is luscious and silky to the point of absurdity....like the Foie Gras of the Cheese Dip world.

4. in the New Yorker of a few weeks ago, the fromagier they profiled talked about how important it is to keep cheese wrapped in wax paper. as an experiement, I wrapped my handy cheddar in wax paper and it had dried out like nobody's business. do they mean only semi-soft cheeses should be wrapped this way? Has anyone mentioned this to places like Enoteca Vin where the cheeses are being imprisoned in plastic cells?

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"

While I can't address your question about cheese in Raleigh, I can tell you that here in Georgia we are exceptionally pleased with the recognition awarded to our own Sweet Grass Dairies from Thomasville. Their cheeses are being used here by some of our finest restaurants and are a most welcome addition to these menus.

a marvelous look at southern cheesemaking here

article from Fine Living Magazine

as for your question how is it that the South can contain both Clemson Blue Cheese and Hoop/Rat Cheese?, I am pleased to say the times they are a changin' .... :biggrin: thank goodness!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I've always been able to find Celebrity Dairy cheese at the Whole Foods on Wade Ave. They will be expanding their cheese selection once they move their health and body selections next door (and they'll be offering dry aged beef, too!).

There are a handful of goat cheese producers near the Triangle, including one just outside of Chapel Hill (the name of which I can't recall). We need to get Maple View Dairy to start making cheese, too!

Many of your other cheese questions are not unique to the South, so I suggest asking those in the General Food forum.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Another Southeastern cheesemaker that's doing good work is Sweetwater Valley Farms, just outside Knoxville in Philadelphia, TN. They're doing mostly cheddar/jack types at the moment - including their "buttermilk" cheese, which was the result of an accident in the cheesemaking process but has turned out to be one of their best sellers.

They've got a good distribution network going in various local retail outposts and wineries, plus reciprocal arrangements with creameries all over the place, as well as supplying restaurants, the Inn at Blackberry Farm among them. It's good cheese, and they're good folks - the dairy's definitely worth a side trip if you're in the area.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

I can't speak to the availability of cheeses in Raleigh but I will begin checking out what's available in Charlotte, as I am visitign there regularly.

in the New Yorker of a few weeks ago, the fromagier they profiled talked about how important it is to keep cheese wrapped in wax paper. as an experiement, I wrapped my handy cheddar in wax paper and it had dried out like nobody's business. do they mean only semi-soft cheeses should be wrapped this way?

There was a Q&A a month or two back with the cheese guru from Fairway Market cheese expert Steve Jenkins. He proposed wrapping cheese loosely so it has a chance to "breathe" but I've had drying out experiences similar to yours in the past.

My new system seems to work pretty well. I immediately take the cheese out of the grocery store shrink wrap when I get it home or if it's cryovac packaged I'll do my rewrapping after the first time I open it. Wrap the cheese in a piece of parchment paper (the cooking type which is available by the roll). NOw place the wrapped piece in some aluminum foil and fold that over to cover - not crinkled up tight on the seams but folded well enough to keep the parchment paper in place. I've had some soft stinky cheeses that seem to keep much better this way than they have with any other method and my Parmesan Reggiano and Pecorino Romano seem to be holding up well also.

"There are a handful of goat cheese producers near the Triangle, including one just outside of Chapel Hill (the name of which I can't recall). We need to get Maple View Dairy to start making cheese, too!"

Dean, who else in the area produces goat cheese besides Celebrity Dairy?

Chapel Hill Creamery produces cow's milk cheese. They have a good Camembert-style cheese called New Moon, and a stronger soft cheese called Calvander, which I like.

Celebrity Dairy and Chapel Hill Creamery cheeses are available at Weaver Street Market in Carrboro.

Edited by scottie (log)

There's a goat cheese producer from Chapel Hill who is at the Raleigh Farmers Market every weekend.  Good stuff, but I just can't recall the name.

Hmm, I will check into that. WSM should be carrying a wider variety of local cheeses, if they're available.

My Intro to Sustainable Agriculture class is taking a field trip to Celebrity Dairy next week. I can't wait!

I know that you are in Chapel Hill and that this may not be of any help, but the nice people at Chicory Farms in Franklinton, LA make an interesting variety of artisinal cheeses, and they are in limited distribution throughout the Southeast. Sadly they do not have a functioning website, but you can find information on them and other Louisiana vendors here on the Crescent City Farmer's Market Website.

While you are on the site you will also find Mauthe's (mao-tay's) Dairy located in Folsom, LA. They make the finest existing version of Creole Cream Cheese. This stuff is totally a New Orleans area classic product and delicious.

If you like stinky cheese, Chicory Farm's Catahoula Blue is the stinkiest! I love it.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

There's a goat cheese producer from Chapel Hill who is at the Raleigh Farmers Market every weekend.  Good stuff, but I just can't recall the name.

Weaver Street Market in Carrboro always has a nice assortment of local/artisanal cheeses -- I always try and load up on my visits there. Here's the link: http://weaverstreetmarket.com/

Timothy C. Davis

Charlotte, NC

timothycdavis@earthlink.net

www.themoodyfoodie.com

www.cln.com

www.southernfoodways.com