• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yom Kippur Break-the-Fast recipes/menus/comments

doggirl

I'm diabetic, so I'm under doctor's orders not to fast for Yom Kippur.  This makes "breaking the fast" something of a non-event for me. 

What do other diabetics do at this time?  Join the noshing brigade in spirit?

Because there are any number of medical reasons which don't permit fasting, diabetes, pregnancy, old age, etc., many people simply join the break-the-fast and enjoy the festive company and nibble if one is already full ... joining the noshing brigade is a great way to put it, Fresser! Thanks! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

In a weird way, the break-the-fast meal is one of my favorite meals of the year. I LOVE bagels and lox, etc., and it's not that I don't eat it throughout the year, but somehow after not eating all day, it just tastes so good!

This year I'm pregnant and won't be fasting. But I've been thinking about this and plan to eat relatively light things during the day, so that I can still enjoy the meal at the end of the day along with everyone else.

After I read Fresser's initial post, I checked with a Rabbi ... don't I always? He assured me that someone who is medically unable to fast can still join in and partake with his/her company after the fast ends ...

so it is written, so it is done ... amen, let's eat! :biggrin: and who am I, a mere mortal, to question the wisdom of this?

We break the fast at my mother-in-law's. After a groaning tablesworth of goodies from Russ and Daughters, our dessert is this:

Janet Levine’s Break-the-Fast Kugel

Put 1/2 lb. cooked, fine noodles into a large, buttered baking dish.

Beat well:

8 oz. cream cheese, 8 eggs, 1 pt. sour cream, ½ lb. melted butter, 1 cup sugar, 2 tsp vanilla extract.

Pour mixture over noodles.

Bake at 325 for about 1 hour.

Have the cardiologist's phone number handy. It's a good thing we eat this only once a year.

• 1 year later...

As with everything else related to Yom Kippur, recipes for ending the fast usually fall into either meat or dairy recipes ... with that in mind, what will you be making to end the long 24 hour fast associated with this holiday?

We have had some threads: one topic is here and then there is this hysterically funny thread on sins to repent for here on this particular topic, but I am hoping to get some newer members, and even the older ones, to offer insights ...

What will you make?

I am seriously thinking of making that Killer Kugel for this event ... :huh:recipe here from the NYT

some recipes which look perfect for breaking one's fast ... comforting and simple ...

Cheese Blintzes with Three-Berry Compote or

Pear and Ricotta Blintzes with Spiced Maple-Butter Sauce

Salmon, Dill, and Cream Cheese Spread or

Smoked Salmon Butter on bagels

Smoked Salmon and Basil Rolls with Crème Fraîche or

Spinach, Red Pepper, and Feta Quiche

Ashkenazic Sour Cream Coffee Cake (Smeteneh Kuchen)

would be my choices among those listed ...

Break the fast in our family has always been dairy. As a child, arriving at my grandparent's house straight from synagogue (they lived across the street so we were lucky to get home quickly) we were always welcomed by the aroma of fresh-brewed coffee. Along with the coffee there was always an assortment of baked goods. Everything was homemade by Baba. My favorite goodie was a blueberry bun - a sweet yeast dough surrounding blue or saskatoon berries.

Once the cousins had arrived from other synagogues, we all sat down to dinner. ALWAYS starting with soup. I call the soup 'Baba's Break-the-Fast Soup". Though nobody ever got any recipes from her, we have all tried to duplicate it. It was milky and contained many of the fresh vegetables from her back-yard garden. Beans, peas, mushrroms, potatoes, onions, etc. It had those thin egg noodles, maybe a few dried beans and fresh dill. It's often made by whichever family member is hosting.

The rest of the meal usually consisted of a cheese kugel - we don't know from these cream cheese kugels you all talk about. Ours are made from cottage cheese, a bissle sour cream maybe. Served with bowls of sour cream and frozen strawberries that you heaped on top.

The rest of the meal varied - sometimes a lasagna, sometimes 'bar mitzvah fish', occasionally salmon, perhaps a blintz or knish or kreple. Always a tossed salad. Last year we had teriyaki seabass :blink: . Tasty, but not traditional.

This year we're going to my cousin's house. He and his wife have only been married a few years but they've hosted once before. And they follow with the family tradition. Though their sweet baked goods won't be homemade - they will greet us, along with coffee, when we walk into their house. His wife is a wonderful cook and I'm sure there will be an assortment of delicious dishes.

Whenever she hosts us, I offer to bring something. She always refuses, prefering that my immediate family come as guests and not have to do any work for the evening. I think I may bring a pumpkin/cranberry coffee cake though.

How can you eat so much food after the fast? Just the thought makes me ill. We're strictly OJ, bagels, cream cheese, lox, and whitefish people. Maybe some babka.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

How can you eat so much food after the fast?  Just the thought makes me ill.  We're strictly OJ, bagels, cream cheese, lox, and whitefish people.  Maybe some babka.

No, no, no! I put in a lot of "or's" to show that I am still making decisions and paring down the results ... :wink: and when one has a number of guests and family who arrive hungry from the fast, something better be on that table ... :shock:

We're going to my sister's (snow and Allison are the reasons we've moved to, ugh, NJ) this year. What does my sister serve? She tells me this "A bagel spread and take out Chinese food, deal with it!".... I love my sister, and she is a very good home cook, Rosh Hashanah was wonderful. I'm trying to watch it since gaining so much weight during my illness this year, I only ate her amazing chicken broth and wonderful composed salad. I'll eat my steamed veggies and some sable and bring a fruit or vegetable salad of some sort...... I wanted meatless stuffed grape leaves, maybe I'll bring those, too. If I lemon them up, she'll probably let ME finish the wine. :biggrin:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

some recipes which look perfect for breaking one's fast ... comforting and simple ... 

Cheese Blintzes with Three-Berry Compote or

Pear and Ricotta Blintzes with Spiced Maple-Butter Sauce

Salmon, Dill, and Cream Cheese Spread or

Smoked Salmon Butter on bagels

Smoked Salmon and Basil Rolls with Crème Fraîche or

Spinach, Red Pepper, and Feta Quiche

Ashkenazic Sour Cream Coffee Cake (Smeteneh Kuchen) 

would be my choices among those listed ...

We're strict traditionalists (ethnically speaking) and shy away from anything meat or fruit-related after the fast; meat is too harsh on the empty stomach, and, well, being a Jew, fruit on an empty stomach causes a reaction not unlike Sherman Through Georgia. This is why most people break the fast with dairy and/or eggs of some sort: soft scrambled eggs, bagels, whitefish salad, herring in cream sauce, Nova from Russ & Daughters, and maybe a piece ONION PLETZL.

Oh, and by the way, that killer kugel could kill.

BeefCheeks is an author, editor, and food journalist.

"The food was terrible. And such small portions...."

--Alvy Singer

We always used to break the fast on anchovies on toast, before a milk meal. I guess it was thought we needed the salt content.

What do you make the fast on? Fried fish, or chicken, or brisket?

Not sure whether you meant "make the fast" or "break the fast" here, jackal ...

Remember this article: from this website on how to fast easily?

In Tel Aviv, Haifa and Beer Sheba many, including those who did and those who did not fast during Yom Kippur, break the fast not so much at home but by strolling to the many cafes and restaurants in these cities as they re-open after the holiday. That outgoing of the masses is not only to celebrate the end of the fast but more to celebrate that the coming back to life of the country. For better or for worse, Yom Kippur is a day impossible to ignore when you live in Israel. No radio, no television, no cafes, no restaurants, no transportation (yes, in some neighborhoods even ambulances are stoned as they drive on that day)..... in short, no nuttin!!!!!

No nuttin? You have forgotten about all of the children who are so excited to ride their bikes, rollerblade and skateboard without being run over by a car.

I realise that is not in the spirit of Yom Kippur, but that is what happens here.

As one who observes Yom Kippur, the quiet allows one to reflect without too much distraction. I like it.

I will serve the following for break-the-fast:

Smoked salmon on digestive biscuits

Herb omelette (Chives, Thyme, Marjoram and Parsely)

Marion's Noodle Kugel - See RecipeGullet

Coffee Cake

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Have an easy fast everyone.

G'mar Hatimah Tova

Thank you Michelle, may you have lightness in your heart and thoughts!

We're eating protein today to be ready for tomorrow, last thing we will ingest though will be some vitamin c.....

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I think I may bring a pumpkin/cranberry coffee cake though.

Care to share the recipe, Pam?!? Those are two (ok, 3, if you count coffee cake) of my favorite things! :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I think I may bring a pumpkin/cranberry coffee cake though.

Care to share the recipe, Pam?!? Those are two (ok, 3, if you count coffee cake) of my favorite things! :biggrin:

I'm happy to - but I left my little notebook at work yesterday morning (my time management sucks and I had to get a newspaper article in by last night - things got forgotten!) I'm out of town for the weekend - but I'll post or PM it to you when I get back. I'm very impressed with it - sat on the kitchen counter and we all nibbled on it for a few days - stayed moist the whole time.