• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Jackal10 - Bread and Apples

jackal10

I do most of the cooking. Jill, bless her, does most of the clearing and washing up...an endless, vital but often an unseen and thankless task

Last batch of pictures.

Went into College to check the arrangements for tonight

M. Reverchon Head of Catering in the cellar; the saddle of Venison (from the Denham estate http://www.denhamestate.co.uk/)

gallery_7620_3_1095804307.jpggallery_7620_3_1095804413.jpg

Let me correct the idea that Cambridge college life is just about eating and drinking, lest I give the wrong impression. While the environment is supportive, and the networking important, a lot of hard work goes on. The College came top last year in the Cambridge table of academic excellence, measured by the examination results, and is also high in sporting achievement league tables, in what is arguably the best University in the world. It works hard to ensure equal opportunity, with special emphasis on attracting those from disadvantaged backgrounds, although there are many good candidates for every place. It is very tough to get in, but once here it is also tough to fail (or leave) One way of attracting the best and the brightest is the quality of the life... John Harvard studied here, and I believe did good work in the then colonies. More is given on the website (www.emma.cam.ac.uk ).

College Hall, the main dining area. High table, where the Fellows of the college dine is on the slight platform at the top. After dinner the fellows retire to the Parlour, where port is drunk and serious conversation is had.

gallery_7620_3_1095806041.jpggallery_7620_3_1095806076.jpg

The servery, normally a self-service canteen for the students, backing onto the kitchen

gallery_7620_3_1095805652.jpggallery_7620_3_1095805694.jpg

Upper Hall, the venue for our meeting, and the Gardiner Room, laid for our dinner

gallery_7620_3_1095805747.jpggallery_7620_3_1095805811.jpg

New Court, new in 1824. The Hall is on the left, the kitchens ahead of you with the Upper Hall above the kitchen. The court, being next tot he kitchen is laid out as a herb garden. The Chapel (designed by Wren) is undergoing restoration

gallery_7620_3_1095806273.jpggallery_7620_3_1095806128.jpg

While in the centre of town I had a quick walk round the market, on your behalf, dear eGulleteers. The Market is a square, and this is the left side. In addition to produce stalls there are clothes and all sorts. However late on a grey Monday afternoon was perhaps not the best time, as most of the stallholders were packing up or had already gone. The Market has declined somewhat since the City Council made the centre of town a pedestrian area. Also the city centre, like city centres elsewhere, is now mostly shops and offices and tourist places, rather than residential.

The left side of the market, and one of the better produce stalls.

gallery_7620_3_1095806406.jpggallery_7620_3_1095806469.jpg

They had fresh cobnuts, and new season wet walnuts; local raspberries

gallery_7620_3_1095806505.jpggallery_7620_3_1095806548.jpg

Squashes, corn and new carrots, but I don't think the asparagus was local. Nest stall has wholefoods

gallery_7620_3_1095806586.jpggallery_7620_3_1095806633.jpg

The fish man was packing up; this "Caffe Mobile" was neat

gallery_7620_3_1095806675.jpggallery_7620_3_1095806712.jpg

There is a stall with interesting breads, I think from Bury St Edmunds

gallery_7620_3_1095806846.jpggallery_7620_3_1095806886.jpggallery_7620_3_1095806939.jpg

The Dinner itself.

Two candidate companies presented themselves, and we also discussed funding for a new approach to diagnosing and treating Alzheimers, and ways of accessing information about charities, and in particular how to measure their efficiency, for example in how much of the donated money actually reaches the intended recipients, rather than is used for adminsitration (surprisingly little in some cases):

We had

Sweet Pimento and Crab Soup

Bassermann-Jordan Jesuitgaren 1990

gallery_7620_3_1095806996.jpg

Roast Whole Saddle of Venison with Caramelised Pears and a Redcurrent Jus

Nuits St George Dom D'Arlot 1995

gallery_7620_3_1095807048.jpg

Warm Linzertorte with Armagnac ice cream

Ch. Coutet 1988

gallery_7620_3_1095807088.jpg

Cheeses

gallery_7620_3_1095807130.jpg

Coffee, Petit Four

Port

gallery_7620_3_1095807164.jpg

That's it... I'm off to bed, an the baton passes to the next blogger. It's been fun. You picked a good week - although I did nothing different just because of the blog, we don't have such parties every week.

If you are planing on passing this way drop me a note...

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Thanks jackal10--the party was of course very fun to attend "virtually" and thank you also for the nice peek into some of Cambridge's food life.

cobnuts! interesting never heard this term before but found out something via this link: all about cobnuts

Just to clarify though--is the term hazelnut or filbert used also? From what I understand from the link; only fresh (green?) hazelnuts are called cobnuts?

Thanks again and hope the rest of the semester is good.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Just to clarify though--is the term hazelnut or filbert used also?  From what I understand from the link; only fresh (green?) hazelnuts are called cobnuts?

I don't really know. To me, all three terms are used, pretty well interchangeably. I think there may be slight variety differences (e.g. Kentish Cob is a distinct variety

Cobnuts tends to refer to the green whole nut in its shell, as off the tree

Hazelnuts tend to mean the nut kernals (or the trees)

Fibert is a rather old fashioned term

Thanks, Jack. It has been fascinating.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks, Jack for a great week!

That saddle of venison looks wonderful. Local? What seasonings?

Haven't been to Cambridge since 1979...Seeing the great pictures may just put the firs under me. :biggrin:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

That saddle of venison looks wonderful.  Local? What seasonings?

Haven't been to Cambridge since 1979...Seeing the great pictures may just put the firs under me. :biggrin:

Golden days....We often get an Indian Summer around this time - coming up for the start of the University term.

The saddle was from the Denham Estate in Norfolk, as referenced above. There were two for 24 oeople. Plainly roasted, then filleted, carved and re-assembled for ease of serving. Tender, lean and flavoursome. I think that was a little spurious choppe parsley on the top. I'd maybe consider something fruity and autumnal, such as a blackberry or bramble sauce as an alternative to what we had.

That saddle of venison looks wonderful.  Local? What seasonings?

Golden days....We often get an Indian Summer around this time - coming up for the start of the University term.

The saddle was from the Denham Estate in Norfolk, as referenced above. There were two for 24 people. Plainly roasted, then filleted, carved and re-assembled for ease of serving. Tender, lean and flavoursome. I think that was a little spurious choppe parsley on the top. Its the sort of thing the kitchen does best.

Not that what we had was not good, but I'd maybe consider something fruity and autumnal, such as a blackberry or bramble sauce, as a garnish as an alternative to what we had. Baked or lightly pickled quince might also be good. Little early for medlars.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Thanks, Jack, for another brilliant blog.

I have a question about your photos. I generally don't keep up on photo-heavy blogs since, being on a dial-up connection still, it just takes too damn long for all the pics to load. You've obviously whittled down the resolution – to no visual detriment, but they load very quickly. What res are you using? Perhaps future bloggers could take a cue...

The photos are taken originally with a Sony DSC F717 5Mpixel camera, at highest resolution (except the cell phone camera ones).

I then post processed them with Microsoft Photodraw; usually the contrast and brightnes needed tweaking, and the sharpness improved slightly. I save them as .jpg with a compression level of 50 and a resolution of 320 x 240 or 640 x 480 for the larger pix. This is good enough for screen work, but will be a bit grainy if printed full page. If anyone wants the high resolution originals, ask. I'm aware of the difficulties to heavy pictures cause, which is why I used the maximum reasonable compression. The average weight is only about 20Kb.

The webcam is a Logitech webcam that was uploaded to a private site using ftp and ConquerCam.

I asked if people prefer the smaller or larger pix, and the page layout (2 pix + text), but got no response. I'd still be interested.

The new Imagegullet is good, but I miss being able to upload eight pix at once; also having all the foodblog pictures in one flat directory is not optimal.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

I want to add my thanks for sharing your week with us. It was too much for me to keep up with during this particularly busy week, and I didn't get to "interact" as you wished us to, but I will be reading both your blogs more thoroughly at a later time! Thanks again for the inspirations.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Jack a wonderful blog as before, and shared a cider making festival few of us have ourselves. I guess there was a time when this would be a normal part of many people's lives. It is a great contribution to eG as are your other offerings.

I've just finished bottling up some of Suvir's tomato chutney and of course went to your lesson on preserving to finish off the process. It's been 25 years since I've bottled anything for a longer stay than the fridge allows. Your bread class was also an inspiration and lead me to my first own sourdough experiencce. You'll be amused to hear (or not) that my DIL disposed of the "imported" starter that was living in the back of the fridge (thinking it was just something that had been there too long and had to be nasty). I can replace the starter, but oh the sentimental value.

Barbara

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts