• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tapioca Pearls

I want to use the tapioca in a fruit soup in order to add some texture, similar to the bubble tea idea or that orbit drink which I don't think exists anymore.

Cool. I figured it was for some bubble-tea inspired concoction. So where are you serving as Overlord? I like fruit soup (and the idea of fruit soup in general) but rarely see it... apparently it doesn't traditionally do very well on menus here in North America because people here are unable to think of soup as a dessert item.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

You can get them (the large ones anyways) at Cafe Sino-Net on de la Gauchetiere near St Urbain.

They sell bubble tea, and also the pearls, both cooked and uncooked.

I heard from a friend in Chicago that the large ones are a little tricky to cook. I wish I could provide more info on why. I'll try to call my friend.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anybody know any suppliers or any stores where I can buy tapioca pearls in the montreal area?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Overlordofpastry:

you should be able to get several varieties of tapioca at two places off the top of my head:

--Frenco Vrac, St-Laurent south of Duluth, and

--Anatol, a great dry goods store and more, in Little Italy, St-Laurent north of st-zotique, west side.

good luck! :smile:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

• 5 months later...