• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gorgonzola ice cream

chappie

I'm getting ready for another round of experimentation with my ice cream machine (last time I honed my own version of Guinness ice cream), and am wondering if I could make a gorgonzola concoction. A Google search turned up some reviews of a South African restaurant featuring gorgonzola ice cream as a dessert, but no recipe.

It did mention, however, that it took the chef three months to get it right, so I'm thinking it was more than just making a rich yolky base and stirring in melted gorgonzola.

Any ideas? I'm also thinking of making a balsamic vanilla as well.

I have a recipe (which I have not tried) for a Stilton ice cream you might be able to adapt, both being blue cheeses : 625 ml milk, 1 clove, 250 g Stilton, 4tbsp white port, 500 g fromage blanc. Heat the milk, infuse clove, melt in cheese (sans rind), beat for 30 seconds and add port (presumably this will help keep things smooth--note there's no sugar).

This same source notes that in Modena, vanilla ice cream is served with balsamic vinegar as a sauce. It shouldn't be that hard to flavor a vanilla base with the vinegar.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Chappie, how utterly amazing. 55 posts, and up to Gorgonzola icecream....its like a 19 year old with a kate Spade bag..what does one have to look forward to in life? Serously, I can only imagine your 1000th post..welcome, belatedly, to egullet :smile:

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Thanks Kim... I found eGullet a bit late in the game (actually through an article in the Washington Post, I think), and it's the best use of the internet I've ever seen. I've already got my friend who's travelling and working in China thinking of starting a log here of his daily encounters with arcane edibles.

Dave, I'm unable to load that link. Is recipeGullet down right now?

One of the many great things about egullet is that someone can post a request that opens a whole taste world for me. Gorgonzola ice cream certainly sounds amazing to me and many obvious complements come to mind right away, like a port reduction sauce, fig anything, caramelized walnuts, etc, that its a wonder we don't see blue cheese ice cream more often. This is just the kind of flavor I got an ice cream maker for.

I don't have a recipe, but I think I found the article that chappie refers to, "Deconstructing Richard", about chef Richard Carstens and his restaurant Bijoux, located in the Western Cape in South Africa. I enjoyed reading it. It also describes a salmon baked alaska, with salmon ice cream, and that also got my taste imagination going.

This same source notes that in Modena, vanilla ice cream is served with balsamic vinegar as a sauce. It shouldn't be that hard to flavor a vanilla base with the vinegar.

This is actually astoundingly good if you use a good-quality vinegar. The look people have is priceless when you tell them that there's vinegar on their ice cream. :)

Charlie

Walled Lake, Michigan

I'll be interested to hear how this comes out. Has anyone tried Nightscotsman's recipe? I did a parmesan ice cream a while back based on an Adria recipe as printed in some periodical and linked to here. The texture was too....pasty, imo, and the flavor was too strong. It was mostly just cheese and cream, if I remember right. I would try to keep the flavor subtle, if I were you. The cheese flavor can be very strong in such things. I balanced mine with pears, prosciutto, and reduced port and it was still too strong for most people. The creamier texture, I think, increases the intensity of the flavor, I think.