• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Recommendations-Scotland

My brother will be traveling next week to Scotland with his wife and daughter to install her as a freshman at the University of St. Andrews and would like some restaurant recommendations for Glasgow, Edinborough, St. Andrews and Inverness. Can any of you folks from the Land of the Single Malt provide him with the benefit of the local knowledge?

typo edit

Edited by mnebergall (log)

Hi there,

Probably the most relevant recent topics is this one here about Edinburgh

and this one here about Martin Wishart and Oloroso

and this one here about Aberdeen

Probably the best thing to do for St Andrews is try using the search button right at the top of the page and you can browse away to your heart's desire!

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

I graduated from St Andrews seven years ago and although I'm not bang up to date I've been back in the last couple of years and things change pretty slowly there.

The fish and chip shop in Anstruther is excellent and well worth the drive. You should also be warned that all the fish and chip shops in St Andrews are pretty dire.

Most of the best dining options tend to be out of town. As well as The Peat Inn which has already been mentioned, Ostler's Close in Cupar and The Cellar in Anstruther are also good. One of the best places close to town is The Grange Inn which is a couple of miles out on the Grange road in a very pleasant spot. It serves good, informal food but is always really busy so your brother should call and book if they fancy trying it.

Unless things have changed, there are no particularly good restaurants in the town centre, but The Dolls' House on Church Square and The Vineleaf on South Street are probably the best bets.

Where St Andrews really excels is on sweet treats. There is Janetta's ice cream shop at the cathedral end of South Street who do dozens of flavours of freshly made ice cream and Fisher and Donaldson bakers on Church Street who supply one of the most important parts of student life in St Andrews, fudge doughnuts, as well as a range of more refined items. The fudge doughnuts are fantastic though - doughnuts without a hole, filled with creme pattiserie and topped with fudge icing.

I hope your niece has a fantastic time there. Do PM me if there is anything university related that you need advice on that I might be able to help with.

Janice

Fisher and Donaldson bakers on Church Street who supply one of the most important parts of student life in St Andrews, fudge doughnuts, as well as a range of more refined items. The fudge doughnuts are fantastic though - doughnuts without a hole, filled with creme pattiserie and topped with fudge icing.

:wub:

Sorry, I was so overcome by Proustian memories of those fudge donuts that I forgot to complete my post.

A couple of years ago the Cellar at Anstruther was fantastic for lunch (and a lot cheaper than the evening meal, I think), but a friend who goes to St Andrews a lot tells me that the best restaurant in the area is the Seafood Restaurant at St Monans. According to the Good Food Guide 2004, last summer they were about to open a branch in St Andrews itself (01334 479475).

Try La Potiniere on main street Gullane East Lothian 01620 843 214.......about 20 mins out of town.

It is owned by Mary Runciman who cooks and Keith Marley who makes the desserts-They both did the rounds in London and have been there about 18 months now.

I will be there for lunch next Wednesday........be warned though, for lovers of sea water sorbet, cabbage flavoured ice cream,trout with banana mousse etc and other such pretentious tosh its definately the wrong place :wink:

• 4 weeks later...