• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lesser Known Italian Wines

Within the last year I've been discovering wines like Salice Salentino Rosso "Taurino" with it's blend of Negramaro and Malvasia Nera, which is a bit more well known, along with several "Ripasso" - particulary Masi and Viticoltori with their odd "double fermented" production. These seem to be less noted Italian wines that are an especially good value in that they are inexpensive but quite enjoyable on the whole.

I also had the pleasure of enjoying a Cote du-Ventoux on a recent trip to France which I previously had never heard of.

Do you have any favorites that are below the radar or that are in such small production that they don't make a far reach?

"At the gate, I said goodnight to the fortune teller... the carnival sign threw colored shadows on her face... but I could tell she was blushing." - B.McMahan

One of my favourite white wines in Italy is the Verdicchio, in the central Italy; these are wines that age wonderfully, plenty of minerality and with lovely parfumes of flowers in their youth, my favourite are La Monacesca,Garofoli, Gaiospino, Sartarelli and the Villa Bucci riserva(try these wines after5-6 yers of cellaring).A great great white wine is also the Benanti Bianco, in Sicily.

I will think about some others wines less known that I like.

If you don't know it yet, try the wines from Bertelli , here in Piemonte, one of the best Rhone-ispired wines (white and red)outside France, not to mentione their Chardonnay...

Best,

Andrea

Andrea Sottimano

Azienda Agricola Sottimano, Barbaresco (Neive)