• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creamed finnan haddie

bobmac

Anybody know where I can it in Greater Boston?

Hi Bobmac,

Wasn't sure if you were just looking for a restaurant that served creamed finnan haddie (no clue there), but you can buy the finnan haddie itself at the Lobster Tail in Westford. I wouldn't be surprised if David's in Salisbury could order it; kind of a cold weather item (to me, anyway).

The stuff at the Lobster Tail looked OK - full sides maybe a pound and a half at $6.95/lb, frozen. I might try some next weekend, now that you have me thinking about it. I believe it's pretty easy to make up with a cream sauce.

--L. Rap

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens

Yeah, I've gotten it at Lobster Tail in North Andover. Problem is, you have to make so much and my wife doesn't like it.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

• 1 month later...

Here in Portland, ME you can get finnan haddie everywhere, cut/sliced to order.

I know that its smoke haddock (right?) but how do you use it? I just can't seem to picture what creamed finnan haddie would be like. Are there other ways to prepare it as well? How does it compare to other hot-smoked fish?

Creamed finnan haddie is simply finnan haddie in a white sauce with potatoes. I have no trouble finding the finnan haddie itself, I'm just looking for a restaurant that serves the creamed version. I have made it at home, but my wife doesn't like it and it's hard to make a small amount once you have thawed the fish. I tried freezing leftovers, but it was unsatisfactory.

I'm on unsteady ground here, but I suspect it's more along the line of cold-smoked, since legend has it that the original smoking was accidental when the folks in Findan were drying fish.

Edited by bobmac (log)

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo