• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants In Piedmonte

Cpalms

Do you have any particular favorites? ones that perhaps that have a particularly outstanding cellar (don't they all in piedmonte?) any not so well know places that are not in the guidebooks that you like or do a certain dish particlarly well?

Thanks for coming on Egullet!!

Hi cpalms,

Piemonte is full of great restaurants with amazing wine lists....I will be more detailed in future days, now the first that came in my mind is La Ciau del Tornavento, in Treiso:one of the best chef of Italy, a Breathtaking terrasse on the Langhe and,of course, every Barolo or Barbaresco you can imagine with a profundity of at minimum 10 vintages!Don't miss it if you are in this zone.

Another place(Craig knows it...)is Il Brutto Anatroccolo, the Ugly Duck......in Pezzolo Valle Uzzone.

A very interesting and complete wine list, with some old Conterno's and Gaja's at very resonable prices.The meat, furthermore, is simply great

Best,

Andrea

Andrea Sottimano

Azienda Agricola Sottimano, Barbaresco (Neive)

I was happy to have a wonderful (5 hour) meal at Il Brutto Anatroccolo with Andrea. Way out of the way from Alba, but worth the drive. Great wine list and great prices. We drank 95 Marcarini Brunate Barolo, 95 Aldo Conterno Barolo, 90 Terre di Barolo Castello Grizane Cavour Riserva, 98 Rinaldi Brunate-Le Coste and Andrea's lovely 96 Curra, which is just barely ready to drink.

None of the wines cost more than 45 Euro a bottle and the wonderful food was also an extraordinary bargain.

I would like to suggest some good places, in the case you are here during the Truffle Fair:

Barbaresco:

-Antine', 1 star Michelin, traditional with some "fantasy".Young chef, very very talented.Starting from 37 Euro, GREAT wine list of Barbarescos.

-Antica Torre, absolutly traditional, wonderful tajarin!normal-good wine list.From 25-30Euro.

Treiso:

-La Ciau del Tornavento, excuse me if I am a little repetitive, but I love this place(togheter with Antine')and... I will marry there on december....don't miss it!( 1 star Michelin)

-Vecchio Tre Stelle( 1 star Michelin), another place in which you will stay great!

Young, talented chef, Between modern and traditional cuisine.Good wine list.From 40 Euro.

Alba:

-La libera, optimum at lunch, good wine list

-Trattoria dell'Arco, one of the greatest Q/P of the zone, wine at glass, traditional food, all hand -made, very good wine list!From 25 Euro

-La Diletta, in the Castelli hotel, very fantasist chef, Modern ambient, good Piemontese wine list.

-Dulcis Vitis, a new place, very elegant in the center of Alba,

_VinCafe', the historical wine bar of Alba, you can eat something drinking wine at glass, from 10-15 Euro in the center of Alba, great selection of Piemontese wines and....sparkling wines!( a mania for the piemontese producers...).If you go in the evening, you will surely find some producer, maybe me......

-Osteria del Teatro, wine bar- little restaurant, traditional ambient, you can go for aperitif or a nice dinner.Near the center, from 15-25 Euro.

I will continue.....

Andrea Sottimano

Thanks for all the great information. We have enjoyed some wonderful meals and wine at Il Cascinalenuovo in Isola d'Asti. Are you familiar with it?? Anxious to try some of your wines this trip.

How many places and how little time that I have!

Of course, on the way from the exit of the highway there are the Cascinale Nuovo, at Isola d'Asti and " La Locanda del Boscogrande", two places absolutly to don't miss!

In the Barolo zone: I would need hours to mentione everyone, but the first that came in my mind are:

-Belvedere in La Morra, great wine list and food, Borgo Antico in Barolo, Della Posta, Brezza, Le Torri in Castiglione,Osteria Veglio in La Morra,La Salita in Monforte,etc........

Andrea Sottimano