• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jackie's, Silver Spring

JPW

The Thursday special, braised pork shoulder with bacon (and collards creamed some kind of way) was fantastic! My wife had the lamb and really enjoyed it.

I liked the decor too. The lighting was soothing.

Scorpio

You'll be surprised to find out that Congress is empowered to forcibly sublet your apartment for the summer.

Had lunch at Jackie's today on my lonesome -- after various eG stalwarts refused to come along on the feeble grounds that they were busy trying to earn a living. It was well worthwhile.

Tried the riblets with chili, scallions and black beans; they were tender and tangy, though the beans were a flavor note rather than a physical presence. Followed up with the day's lunch special -- a really surprisingly good Cuban sandwich with well-toasted French bread, a thick layer of juicy roast pork and about the right proportions of ham, swiss, pickles and yellow mustard. (Walking back to my car, I thought I had a knot in my shirttail or something that was rubbing annoyingly against the base of my spine. Turns out I've sprouted a curly little pink tail.)

Business looked quite brisk for lunchtime on a first week open and Jackie's definitely seems to have tapped into a reservoir of goodwill among people who live or work nearby. "We're all so happy you're doing so well already," the woman at the table next to me gushed (sorry) to her server. "This is just so great!"

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Tried the riblets with chili, scallions and black beans; they were tender and tangy, though the beans were a flavor note rather than a physical presence.

I had fogotten that the menu listed black beans as an ingredient here. The riblets had an asian flavor when I had them - and were dusted with sesame seeds. Maybe they use black bean sauce in the cooking liquid? Can't say I recall the black bean flavor (good raspberry martini ;-)). Anyway, the riblets were mahvelous.

Had a small dinner tonight with a friend--the black bean riblets and the goat camembert salad with a simple and lovely glass of cotes-du-rhone. The riblets are delcious, tender morsels showered with sesame seeds and thin-sliced scallions. They aren't excessively sticky, nor are they heavily flavored with soy as I feared they might be. And the salad was simple but delicious--I enjoyed the goat camembert quite a bit and was glad the dressing was light enough to showcase it.

I had a taste of my friend's steak frites. The flat iron steak is richly flavored and comes with a nice shallot butter topping.

I think our server recommended every single dish on the menu by the time he was done talking about what he enjoyed, which I took as a good sign.

Had a small dinner tonight with a friend--the black bean riblets and the goat camembert salad with a simple and lovely glass of cotes-du-rhone.

Stopped by for a drink & light meal this evening, and had exactly the dishes mentioned by Malawry.....yum!! Those riblets are SO tasty :biggrin: The salad was nice as well, very simple but quality fresh greens, pinenuts & cheese.

Met & chatted briefly with Jackie & Patrick, what nice folks! My husband mentioned that they've been getting a lot of good chat here on egullet and Patrick seemed really flattered. I may have spotted JPW at the bar (with Mrs. JPW & Peanut in tow?) but didn't want to act like a complete dork by going up to a stranger and saying, "hey, are you JPW? you know, on egullet?"

Anyway, yay to Jackie's, my new favorite neighborhood spot :raz:

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

Met & chatted briefly with Jackie & Patrick, what nice folks!  My husband mentioned that they've been getting a lot of good chat here on egullet and Patrick seemed really flattered.  I may have spotted JPW at the bar (with Mrs. JPW & Peanut in tow?) but didn't want to act like a complete dork by going up to a stranger and saying, "hey, are you JPW?  you know, on egullet?"

Anyway, yay to Jackie's, my new favorite neighborhood spot  :raz:

Ellen that was indeed me with the breathing car seat otherwise known as Peanut and Mrs JPW passing through the bar around 7:30. You should have said hi.

We started with a glass of lovely Wolfberger Cremant d'Alsace (a sparkler). It was our first exposure to Cremant d'Alsace and Mrs JPW who doesn't really like sparkling wine said "We have to buy some of this for home!!!!" I'm inclined to agree with her.

Along with this, we had the warm camembert salad and the fried veggies. She enjoyed the salad, but I still think that it needs just one more taste note to put it over the top. I just can't come up with the proper idea at the moment. We both agreed that the batter for the fried veggies is absolutely awesome (and since Mrs JPW is a good Southern Girl, she knows batter). I must say that I have never had deep fried fennel before - very interesting.

For entrees we had the lamb loin and the Thursday night special the braised pork shoulder with bacon and a collard green sauce and fries. To drink we had a bottle of the Cousino Macul "Finis Terrae".

The lamb is very good, but the star of the night was the braised pork. I mean WOW! If this were on Iron Chef it would be "Pork-3 flavors". The lean end shredded under the fork absolutely perfectly and had a great flavor, esp. when dredged through the collard sauce. The fatty end was beautifully rich and just drool inducing. The bacon was also quite good. At the price, eating this dish is like taking candy from a baby. I would be entirely happy, however, to pay a couple dollars more for an upgrade in the french fries.

Following a coffee for me and a HUGE brownie for Mrs JPW, we were motivated to leave only by the stirring of Peanut.

Patrick is starting to flesh out the wine list and it looks to be developing very nicely, should be exciting by the time he's finished. Personally, I like the focus on the Southern France Reds, and again a big thank you for introducing me to the Cremant d'Alsace.

The service is still a little shaky, but seems to be continually improving.

The place was full but not packed last night. They deserve every bit of business that they are getting and more.

edited to add PS - Further kudos for having such a low markup on the wines. Even more of an accomplishment for having to pay Montgomery County their pound of flesh.

Edited by JPW (log)

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Went with my "other" to Jackie's last Friday for a quick drink and appetizer. Ended up spending three hours at the bar, talking with everyone to the left and the right, and working our way around the menu and wine list.

Had such a grand time, took the kids for Fried Chicken night. As with the first night, Jackie and Patrick have their folks so focused on making everyone welcome that any learning curve bumps are easily overlooked.

The wine list is great, as is the Chimay. The Cotes du Rhone in particular was a phenom. Agree that the beer prices are a little high.

As for the food, very solid stuff, if a tad underseasoned, and the fried chicken needs to be cooked longer.

That said, it is an outstanding experience and I am truly grateful to have them in town.

After all, how can you not like a menu that has Pimento Cheese on it?

Kris

• 1 month later...

We tried Jackie's for dinner on the spur of the moment Sunday night. We called in and requested 7pm and were asked to come at 6:30. Place was pretty full when we arrived and continued to be so all evening. I love the space. The service was efficient and friendly and the food had ups and downs. We started with the (aforementioned) calamari, shrimp and scallop appetizer which was delicious. My husband had the steak and frites. Frites were great but the steak tasted a bit odd. I had rockfish in a salt crust, which seemed maybe over-cooked or old, not bad but not inspired. It was served with small potato balls, sauted in olive oil and garlicky good, but the plate was all one color and needed more zip. We still enjoyed our meal and will definitely return. And, I would like to laud them for offering several decent wines for under $20! Way to go Jackie's!!!

The eventual validation of good design choices.

Behind the bar at Jackie's, there is a big window. Two of the panes are of yellowed glass. Even on a really, really crappy day -- such as, say, today -- what little light there is falling through those panes pools on the bar and makes any patrons sitting there feel like they are bathing in a big tub of sunshine. Or maybe that was the Macallan Cask Strength.

"Do you sell much of this?"

"Some. Mainly it's here because the chef really likes it."

I bet he does.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

• 1 month later...

It was a star studded kick-off for brunch at Jackie's on Sunday. The preview brunch was run as a benefit for Silver Spring Police and Firefighters. In addition to the local political dignitaries, brunchers were treated to VIP guest Ann Cashion.

It was a limited menu, but only in options.

I had braised pork in mole, with a fried egg and a lovely rice pilaf.

The mole was a perfect brunch sauce with just the right amount of sweetness. The pork was very good, just a little bit dry, as if there hadn't been enough liquid in the braising vessel. The fried egg was a tiny bit overseasoned, but then again I'm very picky about that. I mean, there's salt and pepper on the table for a reason!

Back to the food.

Mrs JPW had the waffle with chicken fricassee. It was exactly what chicken pot pie endeavors to be. One of the best brunch dishes that I've tasted in quite some time. A real triumph. I'll definitely be back several times for this dish.

Peanut had nothing, prefering to sleep :smile: (thank god! our last restaurant outing had been less than peaceful :sad: ).

Sides were some more than passable hash browns and Applewood Farms bacon. Perhaps I haven't been turned Southern enough yet, but I'm not a big fan of this bacon (which is very good). It's just a little too sweet for me, I tend to prefer a deeper smoke flavor with a kick of pepper.

What I think will really make this brunch special is that it really isn't just a late breakfast as you can get in so many brunches; nor is it an early lunch. It really is dishes conceived for that specific meal known as brunch.

And no, it doesn't come with a slice of cantelope at the end.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were in Silver Spring on Sat and decided to have dinner at Jackie's. We ended up getting there far ahead of our reservation, so hung out in the lounge/bar with mini-burgers, a R. Kacher selection (they have 3 or four on the wine list at fair markups) and a couch full of furry pillows.

At our table, I had a couple of appetizers in lieu of an entree: grilled shrimp, scallops and calamari served with flavorless green nut paste (aka "green romesco") and the pork riblets, which were quite good. For comfort/American food, Jackie's doesn't have anything on Colorado Kitchen. If you're going to serve meatloaf and you're not a diner, my expectations for it are pretty high. Jackie's was disappointing-- dry, dull and in need of some sort of sauce.

While I wasn't enjoying the food a whole lot (except for the mini-burgers), I'm glad to see a non-chain place in downtown Silver Spring. Great decor and the prices are very reasonable. Good service, too.

Chris Sadler