• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kanagawa Prefecture

torakris

Ok, I live in Kanagawa (Yokohama) and am at a loss for local foods.....

Probably what comes best to mind when people think of Yokohama are shumai (Chinese style dumplings) but what else is there?

When thinking of Kamakura is there more than hato sabre? (pigeon shaped cookies)

Yokohama shumai:

http://www.kiyoken.com/pic/siumai/n0001.jpg

hato sabre:

http://www.kcb-net.ne.jp/nurse/secret/HP/g.../hatosabure.jpg

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

the only other thing I can think of are the kuro tamago (black eggs) of Owakudani (near Hakone).

From here http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/RTP/Fuji_Hakone_and_Izu/day_1.html (with a picture)

At a shop by the hot spring, they sell the specialty of Owakudani, black boiled eggs. The hydrogen sulfide contained in the hot spring and iron in the eggs bond together and the eggshells naturally turn black. The rich taste of the boiled eggs is a gourmand gift from the king of hell at the "great hell".

I bought these on a trip there a couple months ago and they just tasted like hard boiled eggs to me.....

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I apologize if the point of this thread was to find good foods native to these areas - and I am somewhat interested in that aspect. However, I would like to plan a day trip from Tokyo to Kamakura. Can anyone recommend any good restaurants in this area serving a localized Japanese cuisine, or - perhaps - just a great restaurant that's not too expensive. (Outdoor seating near the ocean would be a big plus.) Thanks!

Kamakura Oboro sounds great - do you know if they do a lunch set or is it just a la carte. While you're at it, since it seems to be your home turf, can you recommend anything in Yokohama? I spent about two weeks at the Pan Pacific back in 2002 but never really got to try anything good in the area. (I really want to go back to the Sakuragicho station for nostalgia sake...) That's not true, we stumbled across a wonderful tempura stand off one of the back streets across from the MM21 district that turned out some amazing shrimp and veggie tempura, but I'd never be able to find it again. And I don't want to get lost trying to do so again...

Is the ramen museum all that it's cracked up to be?

Kamakura Oboro sounds great - do you know if they do a lunch set or is it just a la carte. While you're at it, since it seems to be your home turf, can you recommend anything in Yokohama? I spent about two weeks at the Pan Pacific back in 2002 but never really got to try anything good in the area. (I really want to go back to the Sakuragicho station for nostalgia sake...) That's not true, we stumbled across a wonderful tempura stand off one of the back streets across from the MM21 district that turned out some amazing shrimp and veggie tempura, but I'd never be able to find it again. And I don't want to get lost trying to do so again...

Is the ramen museum all that it's cracked up to be?

I was searching to see if I could find a sample of their menu and I ran across this site that says they have closed..... :sad: It has been a couple years since I was last there. The couple other restaurants I have been to in Kamakura were just tiny noodle shops that I have no idea of the name and one over priced western style restaurant that wasn't very good.

I have never been to the ramen museum, but a friend of mine just recently went to the curry museum and really liked it. She said the resturants offered small portions (as well as regular sized) so that you could taste various curries at various restaurants. Her only dissapointment was that most of the restaurants did not offer mild curries for children (she was with her two young children), so they were limited in the restaurants they could choose from.

lambretta, in your case I would suggest the curry museum, unless you really despise curry or really want to eat ramen. :biggrin:

The ramen museum is in Shin-Yokohama which is really out in the middle of nowhere and is a bit of a trip from "downtown" Yokohama. There is also nothing else in te area really worth visiting...

The curry museum is right at Kannai station in Minato Mirai, so you could easily stop in during your visit to the area.

• 8 months later...

I guess sometimes I forget just how big Kanagawa is...

One of my favorite areas is Odawara, quite a few cultural areas, a very nice museum and lots of good food. The two biggest specialities are himono (semi dried fish) and kamaboko (fish past products).

We stopped in Odawara today and pickedup some himono:

gallery_6134_1960_25727.jpg

kinmedai and aji

Here is a nice page in English about Odawara and at the bottom you will find links to many food related museums and factories.