• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plantation Grand Reserve Barbados Rum

alphaiii

I found some of the Plantation rums in the PLCB catalog for special liquor order.

1. PLANTATION BARBADOS RUM 1991

2. PLANTATION GRANDE RESERVE BARBADOS

3. PLANTATION TRINIDAD RUM 11 YR OLD

4. PLANTATION TRINIDAD RUM 1991

5. PLANTATION TRINIDAD RUM 8YR OLD (I assume this is supposed to be the Jamaican and is mislabeled but I could be wrong)

Has anyone has any of these and if so which did you like/would you recommend?

The Grand Reserve Barbados is of interest to me since it's more in my price range and the BTI description made it sounds like a good, sweet and flavorful rum that is good mixed with coke. I am thinking it may be a better alternative to Captain Private Stock. Anyone try it?

The other plantation rums would be sipping rums.

Not had them yet but I know the agent in this country very well and am about ot start listing them, subject to a forthcoming tasting. For what it is worth the current range is:

Jamaica 8yo

Trinidad 1993

Barbados 1993

Venezuela 1992

Guyana 1990

The packaging has recently been changed a little as there were too many complaints from bar workers that it took too long to get the wax capsule off. It is now corked but has a very attractive strip label, over the cork, which is colour coded and named as per the rum.

• 4 weeks later...
I can only comment on the Barbados rum and I would recommend it, as for the Trini rum being a mistake check with the seller first. Trinidad has bottled a lot of special rums.

These Trinidad rums are not bottled in Trinidad but in France

If the Grand Reserve Barbados or the Barbados 1991 is the same one for which I have a review on my rum pages (http://www.uta.fi/~kamale/rum/index-en.html), I must say that I did not find it too attractive. The taste was too mellow and characterless to leave something to reminisce about...

Here's a pic of the bottle:

barbadosplantation.jpg

Edited by Kristian (log)