• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Menu Planning Topic

marie-louise

Too much mollusc/crustaccean?

Unless its a theme...

J

Thought I'd bump this old topic back up as I could use some help with a dinner party I'm planning for Saturday night.

Will be small.... probably just 4 people but maybe 6.

I want to begin with Spice-Crusted Shrimp w/ Remoulade Sauce  and then serve johnnyd's Mussels Parisiennes

I am wondering about the possibility of another appetizer as well as sides to go with the mussels... and wine pairing's if anyone is so inclined to make suggestions.

Thanks for your help!

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Unless its a theme...

I agree that's something to consider. What I usually do if there are two things in one category that I really want to serve is to add a third in the same category. If they are all three part of the same course, I'll think of it/serve it as "Whatever Three Ways" or "A Trio of Whatever" -- usually served on one plate. I don't know for sure why, it just seems right. Maybe it's a feng shui or zen thing. It sounds like you're thinking in terms of different courses, and I do that sometimes, too. It's a fun way to eat. As an example, maybe you would serve the shrimp dish, then the mussels, and then a crab cake, soft-shell crab, or other crab dish. I would stick with shellfish though, since you've got that theme going.

We are always trying to make a case for red wine, so maybe a Pinot Noir with some of this... That is not appealing to everybody, though. Since the two dishes you have decided upon are spicy and/or herby, for a white wine a Riesling would be good. Bubbly is another idea. Were you thinking of matching up a separate wine with each course or going with one wine to see you through?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Unless its a theme...

I agree that's something to consider. What I usually do if there are two things in one category that I really want to serve is to add a third in the same category. If they are all three part of the same course, I'll think of it/serve it as "Whatever Three Ways" or "A Trio of Whatever" -- usually served on one plate. I don't know for sure why, it just seems right. Maybe it's a feng shui or zen thing. It sounds like you're thinking in terms of different courses, and I do that sometimes, too. It's a fun way to eat. As an example, maybe you would serve the shrimp dish, then the mussels, and then a crab cake, soft-shell crab, or other crab dish. I would stick with shellfish though, since you've got that theme going.

We are always trying to make a case for red wine, so maybe a Pinot Noir with some of this... That is not appealing to everybody, though. Since the two dishes you have decided upon are spicy and/or herby, for a white wine a Riesling would be good. Bubbly is another idea. Were you thinking of matching up a separate wine with each course or going with one wine to see you through?

If the firsts are really crustacean sampler, and you're in Vancouver, seems like oysters on the half shell would provide all sorts of nice balance to round out the trio -- taste, texture, temperature. And they'd go well with the Riesling or bubbly or maybe (have never actually had with oysters .. ) some kind of dry-ish and exotic gewurtz.

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle

I will, in fact, eat anything once.

Thanks for the comments... the shellfish is a bit of a theme and so I think I will do as you both suggest and add something else: crab, clams, oysters, scallops... not sure what yet but I'll figure it out.

As to wine... I was also thinking Riesling or possibly a NZ Sauvignon Blanc. But then maybe will go for bubbly.... always makes dinner more festive :biggrin:

Thanks again.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Scallops! That's it!

Ooops, I mean that sounds good to me. :biggrin:

Seriously, thanks for asking for suggestions. I enjoy menu planning as much as cooking, and sometimes even more. I think the sweetness of scallops would be especially good after the the salty/spicey/herbal flavors of the other two.

New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc sounds real nice, too. I'm looking forward to hearing about the dinner afterwards, whatever it is you decided upon!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Scallops!  That's it!

Ooops, I mean that sounds good to me.  :biggrin:

Seriously, thanks for asking for suggestions.  I enjoy menu planning as much as cooking, and sometimes even more.  I think the sweetness of scallops would be especially good after the the salty/spicey/herbal flavors of the other two.

New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc sounds real nice, too.  I'm looking forward to hearing about the dinner afterwards, whatever it is you decided upon!

In the end......

Spice crusted prawns w/ remoulade

Crab stuffed mushroom caps (which were sauteed in garlic butter prior to stuffing)

Foccacia w/ caramelized red onions

Mussels Parisianne

Buttermilk Sponge Cake (if such a think exists... not sure how to describe it otherwise) with blueberries,raspberries and vanilla whipped cream

Wines:

Blue Grouse: Siegerrebe 2003 (very light and refreshing white made in

Duncan, BC)

Smoking Loon Viognier from CA (gorgeous... a favourite Viognier)

Matua Valley Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand (grassy, full-bodied and delicious)

Despite the, "less than well rounded" menu, I really enjoyed cooking this

meal and feel very inspired to plan the next dinner party.

Thank you for your interest Susan... I am always inspired by your meals

in the Dinner thread.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

^ Thanks Susan :biggrin:

Now... a new question for ya'll....

I've been invited to dinner tomorrow (well, actually tonight as it's now after 1 a.m.) night and I've been asked to bring an appetizer.

The only thing I know about the rest of the meal is that we will be having some form of pork done on the BBQ.

Any suggestions for a suitable appetizer that won't take a whole ton of time to prepare?

sarah

Despite the, "less than well rounded" menu, I really enjoyed cooking this

meal and feel very inspired to plan the next dinner party.

I don't suppose you have any photos to assist those of us stuck in the cubes doing e-mail management?

Sorry.... no photos. Wasn't really photo worthy anyway as I didn't actually plate anything.... just kind of set everything out on platters (well, and in a big bowl for the mussels), didn't even bother to garnish. :shock:

I am a little surprised this topic - menu planning - doesn't get more activity. I would have thought that people would be all over the chance to get input from everyone else whilst planning their menus. Ah well.

sarah