• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First Paris Dining "Experience"

annadev

My son and his new wife are going to be in Paris for 5 days, on a limited budget, and, as a gift, I am treating them to a lovely dinner - I want to spend about 100-150 Euros. They are staying in the 14th, with friends, but are quite mobile. Any suggestions?

In the 7th (just north of the 14th), I loved Les Olivades. It's a Provencal restaurant offering very bright, fresh tasting cuisine. One reason I suggest it, other than the food, is that I found it to have a more refined feel and ambiance compared to other similarly priced restaurants I visited.

We had the 5-course "Discovery Menu" which was 50 Euros each plus wine. They also have a 3-course menu for 32 Euros.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

You might consider either Au Bon Accueil in the 7th or Le Troquet in the 15th. Au Bon Accueil has a nice ambiance since its remodel, and the food has always been very good. Le Troquet has a six-course degustation menu at 38 euros that we thought was terrific and a real bargain.

Tighe- was that before or after the departure of Flora Mikula?

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Tighe- was that before or after the departure of Flora Mikula?

It was shortly after. When I arrived, I was dissapointed to see that she was no longer the chef since she was mentioned in all the sources that led me to select it. As it turned out though, I couldn't have been happier with the meal.

What is the general consensus locally about whether the change was for better or worse?

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

What is the general consensus locally about whether the change was for better or worse?

it was indeed a change but I must hedge on better/worse. Flora is a very talented chef and I believe Les Olivades was her break away from M. Passard. It was devoted to Provençal cuisine and the quality/price rapport was outstanding. The main negative was its' popularity...the restaurant was slammed every service and apparently no one could say no to reservation requests. Since Deligne took over there is much more calm and decorum(no one squeezing between tables due to the overbooking). Deligne has kept a Provençal touch but has added his own signature with a smattering of spices picked up during his West Indian sojourn, and there is no question he knows his way around the stoves with his impressive credentials.

Edited by Laidback (log)

Don't mean to completely hijack this thread, but while we're talking about Ms. Mikula, is her current restaurant restaurant, Flora, well thought of?

Don't mean to completely hijack this thread, but while we're talking about Ms. Mikula, is her current restaurant restaurant, Flora, well thought of?

Yes it is; when it opened two Augusts ago it was open all summer which was great. Since then, she's gotten good reviews, the prices are up and the number of offerings on the "menu" are down and I've stopped being a regular.

To Laidback thank you for the update; I've been by post-Flora and scoped the menu but now will try.

As for annadev who mentioned "limited budget" restaurants there have been several threads on inexpensive restaurants and a couple of books:

Guide Petit Futé : 1001 meilleurs restaurants à moins de 20 € Guide Petit

Futé -- Broché

Les meilleures tables de Paris à moins de 30 € L. Fourneau – Broché

Sandra Gustafson's Cheap Eats in Paris: A Traveler's Guide to the Best-Kept

Secrets Sandra Gustafson -- Broché

and several lists, including an excellannt one by picaman:

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Yes it is; when it opened two or was it three Augusts ago it was open all summer which was great. Since then, she's gotten good reviews, the prices are up and the number of offerings on the "menu" are down and I've stopped being a regular.

To Laidback - thank you for the update; I've been by post-Flora and scoped the menu but now will try.

As for annadev who mentioned "limited budget" restaurants there have been several threads on inexpensive restaurants and a couple of books:

Guide Petit Futé : 1001 meilleurs restaurants à moins de 20 € Guide Petit Futé -- Broché

Les meilleures tables de Paris à moins de 30 € L. Fourneau – Broché

Sandra Gustafson's Cheap Eats in Paris: A Traveler's Guide to the Best-Kept

Secrets Sandra Gustafson -- Broché

and several lists, including an excellant one by picaman:

John Talbott

Yes it is; when it opened two or was it three Augusts ago it was open all summer which was great. Since then, she's gotten good reviews, the prices are up and the number of offerings on the "menu" are down and I've stopped being a regular.

I was avenue George V a couple of days ago, John. Apparently, Flora's got a new 34€ menu: I'll try to go back ASAP.

"Mais moi non plus, j'ai pas faim! En v'là, une excuse!..."

(Jean-Pierre Marielle)

I was avenue George V a couple of days ago, John. Apparently, Flora's got a new 34€ menu: I'll try to go back ASAP.

Last time (can't dig out notes now) there were too few things on the "menu" I wanted, eg salmon or chicken; back in the old days when she first opened Flora, I was there all the time. Let us know how you like it.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

number of offerings on the "menu"

John I assume that since you quotationed menu you were referring to the prix fixe not the carte. 65 yr. old brains get confused between France and the USA with terms such as menu and entree. I followed Mme Mikula from Olivades to her eponymous spot across from the George Cinq. I have only been 2 times and didn't order the prix fixe as the regular carte was very appealing, and every serving was from good to excellent. Do you feel that she went back to her Arpege roots from the simplicity of Olivades to seek a Michelin star?

Edited by Laidback (log)