• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slow Food

The Slow Food movement is big in Italy as I have personally seen. A major interest of the movement is with the field of wine. Has it influenced you in your approach to making wine and if so how? If not, why not?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The Slow Food movement born in the 1983, at 10 kms from here.

The original purpose was to preserve products that were about to desappear( cheese, agroalimentar products, etc...) and to promote them.

In 1986, togheter with Gambero Rosso , they published the Vini d'Italia guide,

in which, for the first time in Italy, the best wines produced were rated in a 1 to 3 glasses scale.It was an important spark for the future revolution that happened in our zone; every producer, pushed by the desire to be awarded by the "Tre Bicchieri", begin to be more and more ambitious, trying to produce and to vinificate better and better.

As I said in another post, this was a very positive factor for the increase of the quality here( tough someone decided to push too much on the "pedal" of extraction, for me...).

Now, Slow food has founded the" Agenzia di Pollenzo", a very ambitious project in which are involved producers, restaurants and simply wine lovers: there is a university, a "bank" for old vintage of Barolo and Barbaresco, the new"Guido" from Costigliole, etc.... A lot of things, no doubt!

And the Salone del Gusto, every two years, in Turin, the best from every side of the world....

To return to your question, yes, Slow Food pushed also me and my father to improve and, the most important thing, to COMPARE OURSELVES to the others Piemontese, Tuscan, French wines.

Best,

Andrea

Andrea Sottimano

Azienda Agricola Sottimano, Barbaresco (Neive)