• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dinner gift certificate needed

reesek

hi all,

i need a little advice. i've poked around on various anniversary threads, but everything is 9 or more months old - i'm hoping you all can help with some suggestions on where i can send my sister and brother-in-law for their 9th wedding anniversary. they live in rockville and have 2 little kids - so i want to send them somewhere more relaxing than electric. i've got $200 to spend - though it's fine if dinner goes slightly/somewhat over.

places that i think sound good (foodwise) i don't live in DC anymore so know almost nothing about the atmosphere of the places i drool over from your reports are like.

firefly

nectar

palena

eve (but OT is quite a hike from (deep) rockville if they decided to go mid-week)

mendocino (someone was treated exceptionally well there from a thread i read - but i think that was pre-nectar?)

i really don't know what they like but their favorite restaurant in the world was rupert's...not sure if you all were familiar - it was in chinatown, on 7th i think. good food but a tiny menu and a little precious imo - but they were fervent believers. oh - my sister used to work on Penn. Ave so has lunched extensively in downtown business spots so i'd like to avoid kincaids, etc if possible.

any ideas for this PITA? thanks a million!

rk

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Since the nice people who owned Rupert's used to buy local peaches and nectarines from me when i was a kid (working my summers at a roadside produce stand) , and since Nectar is one of my favorite places...

I think Nectar is an excellent choice. And it's far from Booby Kink. Kinkead's.

good food but a tiny menu and a little precious

I've heard this description, almost word for word, used in reference to Nectar on several occasions.

Not that I'd necessarily agree with that characterization.

Sounds like Nectar might be a good choice.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

plot thickening...i've talked to my sister (not so good with surprises). they've only been to palena once and didn't love it (willing to try again, but on a less 'special' night) and the small size of nectar's menu has kept them away. (can't pick your relations, right? :raz: )

she's suggested a couple of other places...any feedback on these -

city zen? i can't find anything on it...and charleston in baltimore. still open to more options...thanks again!

edited to comment on bilrus' post - ironic that they've rejected nectar for the same reason they loved rupert's...but there it is. maybe i shouldn't have called her - they might have loved it. i'll drag her there when i next come home.

Edited by reesek (log)

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

plot thickening...i've talked to my sister (not so good with surprises). they've only been to palena once and didn't love it (willing to try again, but on a less 'special' night) and the small size of nectar's menu has kept them away. (can't pick your relations, right? :raz: )

she's suggested a couple of other places...any feedback on these -

city zen? i can't find anything on it...and charleston in baltimore. still open to more options...thanks again!

edited to comment on bilrus' post - ironic that they've rejected nectar for the same reason they loved rupert's...but there it is. maybe i shouldn't have called her - they might have loved it. i'll drag her there when i next come home.

I'm hoping Eric Ziebold's City Zen will become this city's zen. It's not open yet, but the web says September 15th.

City Zen

"I want the Gucci handbag," she said.

Edited by morela (log)