• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole wheat or multigrain bread in Seattle

Okay, so this isn't local, but I really love Alvarado St. Bakery's California-Style Protein Bread. It is shipped frozen from their bakery in California and sold at Whole Foods (maybe at PCC too? Haven't checked), and it makes absolutely wonderful sandwiches and toast. Very wheaty and wheat-berry-y, not at all sweet or dense. Just right. But not local. Don't know if that matters.

She blogs: Orangette

We just bought some great French bread that was noticeably superior to many local breads we have had -- from La Brea in SoCal. My wife and I joked to each other that it was pretty spectacular for bread from the Tar Pits! But seriously, the French was chewy, not crunchy, and had the nicest flavor! We tried a loaf of the whole wheat and it was good but not great. These breads are baked fresh daily and I assume not on the shelf very long. We bought the La Brea breads at Shoreline's Central Market. They come in a sealed cellophane wrapper and are not sliced.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

For truly non-artisanal, wonderful whole grain sandwiches I'd go for Orowheat's Winter Wheat every time. I love the stuff - can't have it in the house, actually, or I'll just eat it all up.

For truly non-artisanal, wonderful whole grain sandwiches I'd go for Orowheat's Winter Wheat every time.  I love the stuff - can't have it in the house, actually, or I'll just eat it all up.

I second that vote. We like to keep Orowheat's Winter Wheat in our freezer. It's double-wrapped and pre-sliced, making it ideal for keeping frozen and taking out a couple of slices at a time, either for thawing or toasting. I like it for sandwiches because it's sliced uniformly and fairly thin, but the bread itself is hearty and flavorful.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

For truly non-artisanal, wonderful whole grain sandwiches I'd go for Orowheat's Winter Wheat every time.  I love the stuff - can't have it in the house, actually, or I'll just eat it all up.

I third that vote. Terrific bread, been eatin' it for years. Whole grain, chewy, substantial... absolutely remarkable for a commercial product. I keep it in the freezer, too, and just take out slices as I need them.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I'm a sucker for Great Harvest. The quality of the bread is wonderful, the shop always smells delicious, and the people there are so darn nice and helpful.

Plus, if you want to try their bread before you invest in a whole loaf, chances are you can get a slice of whatever it is that you're considering buying.

Misa

Sweet Misa