• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to get knives sharpened in Seattle?

The Epicurean Edge in Downtown Kirkland across from Sur La Table.

He will hook you up.

How much do they charge?

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

http://www.bladesmiths.com/

You have to mail your knives to him, but UPS Ground will get them there in one day. I had all my knives done by Bob Kramer on recommendation from one of my chef instructors around 6 months ago, and I haven't had to even use a steel on them since then, because they're so crazy sharp and stay that way thanks to the perfectly smooth curved mirror polished taper that leads right up to the edge.

Not as inexpensive as taking them to local places, but definitely worth it to me.

If anyone interested is also going to be at the FareStart dinners later this month, I can bring my knife kit and you all can see for yourselves. Carefully. :smile:

Pat

Edited by Sleepy_Dragon (log)

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

http://www.bladesmiths.com/

You have to mail your knives to him, but UPS Ground will get them there in one day. I had all my knives done by Bob Kramer on recommendation from one of my chef instructors around 6 months ago, and I haven't had to even use a steel on them since then, because they're so crazy sharp and stay that way thanks to the perfectly smooth curved mirror polished taper that leads right up to the edge.

Not as inexpensive as taking them to local places, but definitely worth it to me.

Pat

Agree. There is no better person than Bob to sharpen your knives.

BTW, he's updated his Web site (finally!). I see he's offering classes on basic forging, forge building, Damascus, sharpening and so forth. A few years back a group of us drove up there (Ferndale WA) and he taught us the basics of knife care and sharpening, it was worth it.

P.S. Here's a shipping tip, "Please be sure to pack items VERY well! It's unnerving to get a package with a couple of knives poking out the sides. Remember many shippers were once football stars and they often treat packages as footballs. To prevent accidents place wine corks on the points of the blades or wrap in cardboard sheaths. Now lay the knives head to toe and wrap in at least three sheets of newspaper."

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

To prevent accidents place wine corks on the points of the blades or wrap in cardboard sheaths. Now lay the knives head to toe and wrap in at least three sheets of newspaper."

Better yet, use a Lamson knifesafe, which will protect the knife against all but the most outrageous rugby scrums.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Saw this mentioned in today's Fresh newsletter:

THIS WEEK: GET YOUR KNIVES SHARPENED AT THE FARMERS MARKET: Professional

knife sharpening will be available at selected Markets on selected dates

beginning this weekend. Kitchen Song, a locally owned knife sharpening

business will be on hand at the U-District and West Seattle Markets to

sharpen your essential kitchen tools for very reasonable prices ranging from

$2.00 - 4.50 per knife. Shoppers can drop their knives off with the knife

doctor for sharpening while they shop…

NOTE: Shoppers should bring knives to the Market wrapped thick in

newspaper…NOT cloth or plastic bags!

Anyone have any experience with them?

Is this Bladesmith the same guy as the one who used to be down next to the kingdome? 

H

Yup, he moved north sometime in the fall of 2000.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

What's the usual turnaround time for Bladesmith?

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Don't know if this is usual or not, but I mentioned needing my knives back right away for school, mailed them to him UPS Ground on a Monday, he got them Tuesday, then had them back out on Wednesday and into my hands on Thursday.

Probably best to get a time estimate from him though, he may have other projects lined up.

Pat

I just sent an email to Daniel O'Malley at The Epicurean Edge to get the real info on prices at his place.

We took our knives there the day before this thread popped up. Cam is picking up our knives tomorrow; I'll let you know how they turned out.

Apparently they typically offer 24-hour turnaround, but we haven't gotten over to Kirkland to pick them up...

~A

edit: Cam says the pricing is $1.50 per inch.

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

QUOTE(tighe @ Sep 13 2004, 03:13 PM)

Don't know if this is usual or not, but I mentioned needing my knives back right away for school, mailed them to him UPS Ground on a Monday, he got them Tuesday, then had them back out on Wednesday and into my hands on Thursday.

Probably best to get a time estimate from him though, he may have other projects lined up.

Pat

That's been my usual experience. Last time was much worse, though: about two weeks door-to-door. Let's hope Bob was just on vacation during much of that time. From now on I'll probably call in advance to confirm good turnaround.

We took our knives there the day before this thread popped up. Cam is picking up our knives tomorrow; I'll let you know how they turned out.

Apparently they typically offer 24-hour turnaround, but we haven't gotten over to Kirkland to pick them up...

~A

edit: Cam says the pricing is $1.50 per inch.

Yeah, I got an email from him last night and my previous estimate was way off. :laugh: He said that general knives cost 1.25 /inch and serrerated or special knives 1.50/inch he also confirmed the 24hr turnaround.

I know he sharpens them in his own shop on japanese waterstones and probably some other crazy bladesmith gear. I doubt anybody would be disapointed with his work. If Katie didnt get me my own waterstones, I am sure I would use this service regularly.

How did your knives turn out Anita?

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

How did your knives turn out Anita?

They're gorgeous!

I haven't had the chance to give them a good workout yet, but I used the little paring knife last night to peel tomatoes, and the big 8" chef today to chop a couple of things at a potluck lunch -- they seemed wicked sharp. Cam and I are both looking forward to giving them the full test over the weekend.

He also fixed my paring knife, which had been dropped on its point years ago and never fully recovered. It's about a half-inch shorter than it was, but I love the new angle.

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Filing information in proper thread..

I managed to sow confusion at the eGullet gathering last night at FareStart -- my apologies. I should have checked my documentation before speaking so boldly.

Daniel O'Malley does the sharpening for the Epicurean Edge in Kirkland, where Anita & I just had our knives done.

Completely different from Bob Kramer. :blush:

As penance, here's a link to an old CNN story about bladesmithing in the US. The reporter interviews Bob.

Cooking beef stew tonight and looking forward to driving newly-sharpened steel. Polished, sharp edges. Whee!

c

i play the rock. you shake the booty.

• 4 weeks later...

So we had two of our knives sharpened on Sat at the UDist Market. It cost $8 and took about 45 mins.

They are very sharp! She put new edges on them that GLEAM! But what else should I look for as I use them to determine if this is a good sharpener person or not?

So we had two of our knives sharpened on Sat at the UDist Market. It cost $8 and took about 45 mins.

They are very sharp! She put new edges on them that GLEAM! But what else should I look for as I use them to determine if this is a good sharpener person or not?

Find out what method is used to sharpen the knives. There are some automatic mechanical ways that are no good.

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

• 4 weeks later...

I had Kitchen Song do two knives a couple days ago, but will be sticking with Bob Kramer from here on out. I've been hesitant about saying anything for a variety of reasons, and Bob has done my knives before so I knew his work, but I was curious about KS, so...

My knives are sharp enough, but unevenly so. In the case of my paring knife, the grinded edge doesn't follow the curve of the blade. Granted, part of the belly on this paring knife had been worn away long ago so it is never going to look pretty, but the edge was turned into a wide angled uneven V. The grind on my chef's knife is also uneven, between the both sides, and just going along one side it changes too.

Basically the difference between KS and Bob Kramer (or Daniel O'Malley at Epicurean Edge) is that with the latter two's work, you don't see a grind. The entire edge is polished down into a mirror tapered curve, no corners anywhere, and the belly of the knife literally melts into the edge.

KS is probably fine for home cooks, and they are by far the least expensive option (my cost was 6$ total for my paring knife and 8" chef's knife, whereas Daniel or Bob would charge more than that for one knife alone) as well as most convenient (45 minute wait while you shop at the market, as opposed to mailing knives to Ferndale or going to Kirkland and waiting 24 hours), but I'm in culinary school and it's important for me to be able to do cuts that are perfectly smooth, ie. slice a potato and the surface should feel like glass. Bob and Daniel's sharpening technique not only allows for this, but IMO their edges will last a lot longer too. No corners = no friction, and more support for the edge of the blade over time.

As with most things, it comes down to cost, convenience, what people want to do in the kitchen, and how often they will do it. Routine for me is dicing a 200 lbs. box of raw sweet potatoes, so a long lasting edge with minimal friction matters a lot.

Pat

Edited by Sleepy_Dragon (log)