• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saturday in London

i need to show a friend around London tomorrow. its a long lost friend who moved to london a few months ago and needs to be shown the finer side to this great city. i'd like to go to one area, rather than try and criss-cross the city to no end. i'm thinking of two possible areas, east around shoreditch/old st or south near borough/tate.

for sure i want to have lunch somewhere, ideally a gastropub that is laid back (ie - anchor & hope) or other possible eaterie. also, any interesting things to do in either area, or suggestions of other places. maybe i can start east and then head south-west....long night yesterday so any help will be much appreciated.

-che

I'd go for SE1 to start. Have an early lunch and then walk along the river. Mr O and I did this once crossing over from south side to north over one of the bridges (Albert maybe) then kept walking through the chelsea bit - crossed over a bridge again I think and eventually ended up at the bar under Putney Bridge restaurant. It was fun (if you like walking) and shows that great cross section London has with really wealthy places next to quite industrial looking and council housing type areas (which is why I love this city - I'm a south east london girl at heart). It's a relaxing but interesting walk and prompted some great conversations.

Have fun!

Ps - I drive past the Anchor every Sat on the way to Borough market and I seem to remember it doesn't seem to be open for lunch sometimes - might be worth checking.

sounds like a good plan - i can also stop by the saatchi or hayward galleries...i'm sold. thanks for the bt about the anchor & hope.

anyone have any other gastropub suggestions in the area?

-che

I'd go for SE1 to start.  Have an early lunch and then walk along the river.  Mr O and I did this once crossing over from south side to north over one of the bridges (Albert maybe) then kept walking through the chelsea bit - crossed over a bridge again I think and eventually ended up at the bar under Putney Bridge restaurant.  It was fun (if you like walking) and shows that great cross section London has with really wealthy places next to quite industrial looking and council housing type areas (which is why I love this city - I'm a south east london girl at heart).  It's a relaxing but interesting walk and prompted some great conversations.

Have fun!

Ps - I drive past the Anchor every Sat on the way to Borough market and I seem to remember it doesn't seem to be open for lunch sometimes - might be worth checking.

If you're walking in that area , you could do the Ebury in Pimlico - South of King's Road. Very picturesque around there, always v. good food, and the chef is ex-Chez Bruce. After lunch, you could pop around the corner for some Artisan du Chocolat, and then take him/her to laugh at sloan rangers in the square, followed by night of theatre at Royal Court?

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

what is sloan rangers on the square - and where is it?

it's a her...a very cherished her which up until wednesday i hadn't seen in about 4 years.

-che

edit: anyone pick up im not from here...and i lived nearby the square for 3 years. im embarassed.

If you're walking in that area , you could do the Ebury in Pimlico - South of King's Road. Very picturesque around there, always v. good food, and the chef is ex-Chez Bruce. After lunch, you could pop around the corner for some Artisan du Chocolat, and then take him/her to laugh at sloan rangers in the square, followed by night of theatre at Royal Court?

Edited by CheGuevara (log)

Sloane Rangers are a funny sort who own horses, call their daughters after poodles, and drive Range Rovers.

Also - what about the Food festival of London? Is it Sommerset House?

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

what a great idea - yes the festival is at sommerset...and i will be going to royal festival hall around 12:30 for some jazz before lunch.

-che

Sloane Rangers are a funny sort who own horses, call their daughters after poodles, and drive Range Rovers.

Also - what about the Food festival of London? Is it Sommerset House?

• 7 months later...

Actually, I'm turning 3-0 next next Saturday, and was thinking of doing something special in SE1 too. It all started around two things: a food theme and not wanting it to be (just) a dinner and drinks thing, plus I used to live behind the Tate Modern(in the student digs, not the posh pads) and simply love the area! So, feeling a little sheepish for posting such a lame question,

Does anyone have any good fun ideas for the big 3-0?

Was thinking

- breakfast at Tate Modern/Monmouth with whoever can get up,

- then wander into Borough Market with whoever else has gotten up.

- Was initially thinking that everyone should pick up their own picnic in the market to sit out after around Southwark Cathedral (or boat to Greenwich, but the boat to Greenwich doesn't run on Saturday! sob.),

- but think a much safer option, weather- and other- wise, would be for everyone (includes balance of guest list who hadn't gotten out of bed before) to meet for lunch at Brindisa Tapas / Tas (walk to the Globe?). Should I book for a big group?

- Would love a walk along river, but think walking with large group somehow isn't going to be feasible. Someone suggested everyone cramming into a London Eye bubble and popping champagne, but... er... but... :biggrin: My idea of fun is just to chill all afternoon in the restaurant or nearby pub or, weather-permitting, outdoors. Maybe an early Pimms?

That's Plan A.

Plan B was some ambitious design for everyone to meet at

- kubain New Oxford St and then eat out, or

- go "see" the longplayer at East India Wharf then eat out.

Plan C was a fanciful combination of A and B. Please ignore.

Any new SE1 ideas would be very welcomed - plus if you'd like to come too...

Edited by Ai Leen (log)

Fresh from London. Eating as always.

http://www.artisanedibles.blogspot.com