• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Daniel Rogov's recommendations of Israeli wines

Pan

eGullet member and Ha'aretz food critic Daniel Rogov's take on Rosh Hashanah and Israeli wines:

With Rosh Hashanah rapidly approaching, it might be good for the observant and traditionally minded among us to recall that nowhere in the wisdom of the ages has it been written that one has to drink bad wines for the holidays. Happily, large and small Israeli wineries are now producing wines, both kosher and non-kosher, that stand comfortably alongside the fine wines of the world.

For the rest of the article, click here:

Wine and Spirits / Where is it written?

What do you think of Mr. Rogov's recommendations?

Michael aka "Pan"

Israeli wines have definitely come a long way. In the year since Andre posted his overview of the Israeli wine scene I've made a point of purchasing and trying many different wines. These are definitely not your parents' Israeli wines. Of everything we've tried, I really like the wines from Recanati.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

eGullet member and Ha'aretz food critic Daniel Rogov's take on Rosh Hashanah and Israeli wines:

For the rest of the article, click here:

Wine and Spirits / Where is it written?

What do you think of Mr. Rogov's recommendations?

Rogov's guide to Israeli wines is an important introduction to whatever is happening in the Israeli wine scene.

True for any other critic, one may agree or disagree with the analysis of each wine and the ratings. Golan Heights wines for example, are by all means “correct” and with a fairly good structure, yet by no means complex or appealing in my eyes. GH is a large industrial winery based on a certain standard that prohibits character and style other than what the mass customers would allow.

So is the popularity of Robert Mondavi an indication for the right choice of wine in

California?

Mr. Rogov had done a fine job mentioning nearly all Israeli wineries in a professional manner. I pray this edition will lead the way to better understanding of a fast developing small and rather interesting wine market and will continue to be updated yearly as promised.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.