• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pintade

tan319

One of the owners of this French bakery I work at asked me today about this bird, which I think is a cross between a turkey and a chicken, for lack of a better explanation.

I have a French cooking mag in which she had seen a recipe featuring it.

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all.

2317/5000

A pintarde is actually a mentally-handicapped pintade...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Native to Africa, guinea fowl have long been domesticated in France. Impressive plumage but a rather nasty temperament. They usually weigh in at 2-2.5 lbs. dressed. Their flesh is denser and drier than chicken's and the flavour more savoury, closer to pheasant. That said, I find North American guinea hens less tasty than their French counterparts. Like duck, the meat marries well with fruit. Whole birds can be roasted (often barded or larded to avoid dryness) or braised. The breast meat can be sautéed. The legs are used for confit or braised. A few favourite preps: roasted with potatoes (Robuchon); stuffed with bacon, black olives, thyme, shallots and the liver and roasted (Wells); braised with fresh green figs ('tis the season); braised with mint, lemon and crème fraîche; legs braised with cabbage and bacon; and legs braised with sauerkraut. If you'd like the recipes for any of these, PM me.

The Dominicans cook guinea hen. For example, you can click on the menu for El Malecon Restaurant II on menupages.com and see the following special for Monday: Gallina Spanish Style Guinea Hen Stew. I've eaten that dish, and I assure you it's not chicken. I'm sure El Malecon is not getting their guinea hens at D'Artagnan, which suggests to me that anyone who wants to get one cheap should head to Washington Heights or another Dominican neighborhood.

Michael aka "Pan"