• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lamb Kangari

Geetha

http://www.kanger.crosswinds.net/kangri.html

I've found this interesting and very unsettling for other current news nature that it depicts..

I have a feeling I have a taste of this dish in my mind but I don't feel right up to it now.. I am home sick I've never been to see Kashmir. But I've a strong urge to to so now.. what with the songs of fiza playing in my mind now..

I will post later about this dish if it does clarify in my imagination otherwise I will let other culinary experts make their stands on this.

Love

Okay for you Monica I'm giving it ..

I know I'm trying to shake off someone trying to help me here (WARNIG to people of other cultures there might be a culturally differing opinion take it with salt only ;>)

Okay this is from someone who has tasted through me (just to be very clear) I don't know that other some one trying to help us..

So ther goes: This lamb preparation is similar to the taste after eating madras lamb I think or rather the Lamb I prepare at my home using the garam masala of my MIL from chennai..

I don't know its contents (can't ask my MIL she will send it all the way here to US nad not give me recipe ;) )

Okay it has this predominan flavour of smoked flavour of peppercorns roasted to perfection allmost to the point of it becoming amber red and smokes coming from its stokes and kept into your nostrils(ayurved remedy for closed nostrils of cold for children), and it goes deep to you lungs and does a warming and te warmth of this cleanses you too from inside. It is almost like a medicine but also tasted good then too.

Okay are you you thinking how will I make it then I think you will need to have something like the KAngri too for the smoking part in on coals lighting up for flavouring the smoking of the LAmb placed on it..

If KAngri is a revered part of kashmiris and some one doesn't like this use please forgive my bring it up but it is up to an individual to use it which ever way they seem agreeable to their life style and no one should really oppose their views then. I feel free oppose those who oppose for their reasons only

Thanks

I know of one thing I like to say about this post above that it is initiated to clear any misconceptions of my intensions, I did not have any political thing on mind here. I've merrely stated that it is the wish of an individual to describe the dish as he wishes to and not to oppose other tradions that use the same in a revered manner different to them.

Got that

Please do not interpret this in any other fashion.

Geetha

Would any of you like to comment on the flavours I've mentioned and how you develop it in one of your dishes. Any shared remedies please.. Suvir, Episure, I've not known you two other wise but seems like you are wise guys here ..

Anyone who knows of it let me know, I would like to know how to develop the deep pleasant smoked taste of smoked pepercorns into the lamb that we have described here to you.. anyhow.

edit: any of your well known implements or tools to do the work here, please add those either. :wub:

Edited by Geetha (log)

May be a good performance of incorporating of these flavours is by placing the tava or pan of the ingredients in side of a charcoal oven from time to time shifting the pieces of lamb to coat well and smoke too.

I think is that to use a patient method of stoking this piece of meat every 5 to 10 minutes, according to the temperature of the charcoals in the grill too, would greatly flvour the meat inside.

In addition to it I would like to add the rice preparation to go with it

http://bawarchi.com/cookbook/kashmir1.html

I would also like to add mixed nuts like pistachio, almond, walnut, and raisin. Among fruits that get added to kasmiri pulao are chiefly, pineapple apples grapes.. :huh:

:hmmm::cool: Choose your favourit fruits I'd rather say or use the frozed fruits from the store bought ones stowed away in your fridge for ages :raz::smile:

Great I need to try this one here :shock::smile: YEs I have eaten it but not made it yet but it seems to me a promising recipe. :smile: