• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kiwi Puree Ideas?

nyc

I just received the gift of nearly a kilogram of Cap Fruit kiwi puree.

At first, I thought: fruit charlotte!

Then I realized that the acid eats the gelatin in the mousse.

The disappointment has boggled my mind.

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions or a gentle, inspirational whack on the side of the head for the puree?

Thanks.

Neal

Yes, sorbet is an excellent suggestion. On Day One of my first restaurant job, years ago, I was assigned to make 3 sorbets: grapefruit, strawberry…and kiwi. I’ve retained the recipes, and for the kiwi sorbet 2 pounds (about 9) fruits were puréed for a 1-cup sugar, ½-cup water proportion. Zap it w/ some Cointreau, if desired.

To make the sauce, you could combine 24 fl. oz. (3 liq. cups) purée, 2 fl. oz. lemon juice, and sweeten to taste. Its vivid colour & distinctive tart flavour would go well w/ the richness of chocolate pound cake.

Kiwi sherbet is an unusually refreshing treat -- almost a frozen kiwi daiquiri!

Also, consider blending a few dynamic smoothies: Kiwi, banana, fresh pineapple, and orange juice all whirred together.

Edited by Redsugar (log)

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

I haven't tried using it yet but maybe this might be a good application for

Mycryo from Barry Callebaut. It's supposedly works somewhat like gelatin but it probably wouldn't have the reaction to kiwi that regular gelatin has.

Kiwi strawberry combo always works, but seems as original as a snapple on the shelf. Just thinking outloud, sorry. Thinking dark chocolate with pine nut or almond financier and kiwi foam (I know it is old now...) or even a kiwi granita type intermezzo sounds wonderful to me. Kiwi sorbet is always refreshing with something heavy.

Debra Diller

"Sweet dreams are made of this" - Eurithmics

I just received the gift of nearly a kilogram of Cap Fruit kiwi puree.

At first, I thought: fruit charlotte!

Then I realized that the acid eats the gelatin in the mousse.

The disappointment has boggled my mind.

[GEEK MODE]

Actually it's not the acid -- you can set up lemon juice very nicely with gelatin. It's enzymes that turn your gelatin into goop. And enzymes are denatured by heating. That's why canned pineapple works in Jello salads, but fresh pineapple doesn't.

So if you want to do a Charlotte, you could heat the puree - not sure how hot, but I should think a simmer would be fine - hold it there a few minutes, then cool. Should work fine with gelatin after that.

[/GEEK]

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith