• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

when is susur's new resto opening

Stalder

Interesting... I called Susur tonight and was told that it would "probably" be opening on Wednesday, but whoever was on the phone didn't seem to know much about it. He said they weren't taking reservations yet, and suggested calling tomorrow. Am I being given the run-around?

Simon

Interesting... I called Susur tonight and was told that it would "probably" be opening on Wednesday, but whoever was on the phone didn't seem to know much about it. He said they weren't taking reservations yet, and suggested calling tomorrow. Am I being given the run-around?

Simon

Hmmm.. it's quite normal for restaurants to delay it's opening.. (look at all those opening soon episodes..)

I really should call them to confirm.. Whoever on the phone to take my reservation doesn't seem to have any problem reserving a table for me and said he will call if there's any problem..

Right beside the original. It is to be more of a casual or bistro concept as I understand it. I have heard that it will be much lower priced and all a la carte. I have also heard Susur's will only do tasting menus after the new place (Lee's, I think) opens and that Lee's will be open for lunch. Jason Carter is to be the chef, I believe. Sorry I don't have anything more definite.

Edited by Jake (log)

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I dropped by Lee on my way home from work tonight. They're opening this evening and will be open for lunch starting Monday. The atmosphere is casual and well lit, and their menu is a la carte. They serve Middle-Eastern influenced dishes (as opposed to Susur's Pacific-Rim cuisine).

From what I remember, most of their appetizers and mains are under $10 and $20 respectively. They also have several lunch/dinner for two preset menus. I didn't get a chance to see their dessert menu, but I was told that their pastry chef formerly worked at North 44.

It definitely looks like a restaurant worth trying out. Be sure to pick up one of their business cards - it can substitute as a magnifying glass!

Yes, it's much more of a modern bistro than an upscale restaurant. If I remember correctly, the restaurant is one large room with high ceilings, and very pink (or fuchsia). The tabletops are clear and transparent, and the cutlery is presented in a small shallow box. The menu is also quite large, probably over 70 dishes.

If you do go, I'd be very interested to know what you thought about it.

Cheers,

Clement