• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef Roberto Santibanez

shelora

Hello all,

I've just had some bad news that Chef Roberto Santibanez suffered a heart attack in New York City. He is luckily recuperating in hospital.

He is the executive chef at Rosa Mexicano in NYC and formerly of Fonda San Miguel in Austin Texas.

He is an extremely talented chef, is on the touring roster for Marilyn Tausend's Culinary Adventure tours in Mexico and has contributed to many cookbooks as well as spent many years teaching and cooking great Mexican food.

Please send your good wishes for a speedy recovery.

Besitos,

Shelora

• 2 weeks later...

Any further word on Santibanez? Knew him when he was a Fonda San Miguel in Austin ... and absolutely adore him.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

No, I haven't heard how he is doing. I'll let you know asap.

I did a two week "stage" with him and crew at Fonda a few years back. We would go to the market in the morning and see what we could find and go back to the kitchen. I learned how to make huazantle rellenos and a salas with xoconostles ( the sour tunas). I too adore him

S

Any further word on Santibanez?  Knew him when he was a Fonda San Miguel in Austin ... and absolutely adore him. 

Theabroma

No, I haven't heard how he is doing.  I'll let you know asap.

I did a two week "stage" with him and crew at Fonda a few years back. We would go to the market in the morning and see what we could find and go back to the kitchen. I learned how to make huazantle rellenos and a salas with xoconostles ( the sour tunas). I too adore him

S

He's also wickedly handsome ... which never hurts.

BTW - is Miguel Ravago still at FSM? I know he left, and that was when Santibanez came in. And then he went back to Mx and Miguel came back.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Yeah, as far as I know, Miguel is still there acting as Exec. chef.

Roberto is as cute as a bug's ear.

s

He's also wickedly handsome ... which never hurts.

BTW - is Miguel Ravago still at FSM?  I know he left, and that was when Santibanez came in.  And then he went back to Mx and Miguel came back.

Theabroma