• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using up leftover roast pork

halland

Ok, so after the successful roasting of a pig in my homemade caja china I've got about 20 pounds of leftover pork to use up. Most of it is in the freezer because I knew I wouldn't have the time to eat all the leftovers before they spoil.

I'm planning on making tamales but that won't really use up that much of the pork, even if I make and freeze 50+ tamales. I'm making pulled pork for sandwiches and experimenting with bbq sauces on a weekly basis.

What else can I do with all this leftover pork? With all this caja china discussion, I can't be the only one with loads of leftovers.

Hal

Edited by halland (log)

Pork fried rice is excellent. For that matter you could combine leftover pork with hoisin sauce, some julienned vegetables and whatever else sounds good to make some lettuce wraps.

You can also send leftover pork to me. :biggrin:

You just need to invite more people next time. :biggrin::biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

pork sandwiches---like pulled pork, but maybe not pulled. warm chopped pork in vinegar/sugar solution (with bbq sauce, if you must), on a bun with good, crisp pickles.

i plan to make pork sugo with some...with modification, as i usually use raw, chopped pork.

will look forward to seeing the other suggestion vs---thansk for starting the thread!(where is the "licking lips" icon?)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Yep I would go for the chopped pork in sauce. I normally sauté onions & garlic with some brown sugar tomato sauce or ketchup and some balsamic. Then add chopped pork. Makes a great wet sandwich, or baked potato filling.

The pork fried rice also is a good idea. Just use whatever vegetables you have laying around. My personal favorite for this is cabbage, onions and something green.

Never trust a skinny chef

J.P. you were right on with the first reply of Cuban sandwich. Another idea would be burritos.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

Pork fried rice is excellent. For that matter you could combine leftover pork with hoisin sauce, some julienned vegetables and whatever else sounds good to make some lettuce wraps.

You can also send leftover pork to me. :biggrin:

I concur with the pork fried rice. In fact, its a totally appropriate use of Cuban style roast pork, because thats what the Cuban Chinese places use to make fried rice.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Perhaps you could mix the pork with cooked black beans (and/or rice?) and stuff bell peppers, winter or summer squash. Crumble queso blanco over the top and maybe roasted pumpkin seeds.

Use the pork, grilled plantains and corn in empanadas.

What about a frittata?

20 lbs. is a heap o' pork!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I too roasted a pig this last weekend; we've got the same problem. The best we've made so far are pork tacos - warm chopped pork with the adobo from a can of chipotle peppers, and serve with corn tortillas, lime, cilantro and pickled red onion (just steeped in vinegar, salt & sugar for a day). The Carolina pulled pork sandwiches have been great too - just top with cole slaw and a vinegar sauce. This weekend, I plan to make black bean chili with red onions, garlic, and the leftover chipotle peppers. However, now that I've read this thread, it may turn out that I don't have enough leftovers. :)

If you saved any of the bones, you could make pork stock and posole and put a mess of the pork in the soup. Sort of a bastardized version, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't work and be great.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"