• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mascarpone

Richard Kilgore

I picked up a tub of mascarpone at CM last weekend. I have never used it before, and would like to hear about some of your experiences using it -- both favorite interesting things to do with it, as well as any tips or cautions. And a specific question:

If I put a layer down in a tart shell bfore adding fresh fruit, do I need to coat the tart shell with egg white or anything else?

One world: Cannoli.

Cannoli... with mascarpone? :blink::shock:

Might taste perfectly fine, and I bet they do, but if it's made with anything else than ewe's milk ricotta... nah, it just ain't cannoli. Foreigners, ah! :laugh:

The classic thing to do with mascarpone would be tiramisu'... mmhhh

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

We use Mascarpone in our cannoli filling along with the ricotta. Personally I'm not a big cannoli fan. However, the mascarpone mousse we make for the tiramisu, I could eat a vary large bowl of. It's just egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla whipped into mascarpone, then egg whites whipped with sugar folded in at the end.

Right now we make a couple variations on the traditional coffee flavored tiramisu, but we used to do one with banana bread soaked in citrus syrup and fresh strawberries that was very good.

We use Mascarpone in our cannoli filling along with the ricotta. Personally I'm not a big cannoli fan. However, the mascarpone mousse we make for the tiramisu, I could eat a vary large bowl of. It's just egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla whipped into mascarpone, then egg whites whipped with sugar folded in at the end.

Can I share the bowl with you?

A very simple dessert using mascarpone is to blend it with some honey and nutmeg. Then serve with poached fruit. Lick the bowl good.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Macarpone is a rich, unripened, very soft Italian cheese. The first time I had a dessert containing mascarpone was at Boston in 1984, most likely in the Four Seasons Hotel. (Was Lydia Shire in those kitchens at that time?) It was a chocolate roulade filled w/ orange-scented mascarpone. Then coffee followed by brandy, to put a big exclamation mark on the meal!

I echo Albiston’s enthusiasm for tiramisu – w/ a good light rum mixed in with it for extra-good measure!

Cirtus flavours offset it very nicely. One can prepare a frozen mascarpone cream and serve it, sliced, w/ a gingery tropical fruit compote. And Emily Luchetti actually gives instructions on how to make substitute mascarpone by heating heavy cream to 180° and adding tartaric acid to it. It’s then chilled in a lined strainer, covered w/ plastic wrap and chilled up to 18 hours until very thick & firm. Much more wonderfully inviting, though are her instructions for making Caramel-Mascarpone cream by adding caramel sauce, heavy cream, and a pinch of salt to the cheese and whipping it to soft peaks. Hedonistic!

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

In macaroni and cheese

In "cream" soups instead of cream or thickeners

In lots of places you'd use cream cheese, because it doesn't have that cloying taste of cream cheese

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

And Emily Luchetti actually gives instructions on how to make substitute mascarpone by heating heavy cream to 180° and adding tartaric acid to it.  It’s then chilled in a lined strainer, covered w/ plastic wrap and chilled up to 18 hours until very thick & firm.  Much more wonderfully inviting, though are her instructions for making Caramel-Mascarpone cream by adding caramel sauce, heavy cream, and a pinch of salt to the cheese and whipping it to soft peaks.  Hedonistic!

I've used Luchetti's recipe for homemade 'mascarpone' and it came out great!

I made a nice dessert once using a filling of sweetened mascarpone with crystallized ginger (I think whipped cream was also folded in). This was sandwiched between two crisp rounds of filo dough. Yum.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I echo Albiston’s enthusiasm for tiramisu – w/ a good light rum mixed in with it for extra-good measure!

Definitely, some rum is a great addition and I often use it too. Another nice "alcoholic flavoring" that works quite well is some good marsala, or a decent oloroso sherry. And if you like mascarpone and citrus flavours together: just one word... limoncello. Store bought or made witht Katie's now famous :wink: recipe .

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Tiramisu

A classic Itilian dessert made with mascarpone cheese

Tiramisu basically includes Mascarpone cheese, raw eggs, sugar, espresso coffee, ladyfingers, liquor and cocoa. Heavy cream is an optional ingredient. The richness and "mouth experience" depends on the quantity of each ingredient, and the care of preparation. This recipe section includes a number of basic recipes, as gleaned from various sources, which are cited whenever possible.

Tiramisu

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Cheesecake, mascarpone custard tart filling, mousse, panna cotta, bavarian, cake filling etc... You can whip it too (use superfine sugar). Whip on high and watch carefully (it can break very easily iff overwhipped).

I don't use egg in tiri mi su anymore- I whip it with sugar, cream and gelatin with (brandy, grappa, strega, etc..).

It is a "modern" classic dessert, as it was developed in the 70's- near Venice.

In a savory cheesecake. I've made THIS recipe for Mascarpone Cheesecake with Sundried Tomato Pesto for several parties and it's always a huge hit. It's absolutely delicious and the only downside is that there's never any leftovers.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I've made another nice mascarpone dish--(from Scicolone's ,La Dolce Vita)--It is a very nice dish in the fall--

Poach pears in a lemon-sugar-white wine syrup. Reduce the syrup and reserve to pour over pears when serving. Stuff pear cores w/a mix of mascarpone and gorgonzola (1:2). Chill and serve, garnished w/mint.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"