• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lebanese Taverna

JennyUptown

Lebanese Taverna (Woodley Park) has become one of my fallback casual-dinner-with-friends spots. I enjoy the food; there are probably 100 different things to choose from though I often get either chicken shawarma or mixed (lamb/chicken) shawarma. The hummus has a pleasantly nutty flavor - when I'm there with a non-veg friend, I always get the version with lamb. Yum.

It's quite reasonably priced (although I noticed a price increase when the menus were updated recently. LT has recently added a menu page or so of hot and cold smaller plates (meze) in case you don't want to commit to a full size entree (prices for entrees, I believe start around $12 and top out around $20).

The atmosphere isn't anything to write home about...to me it smacks of one of those massive Long Island "upscale" diners crossed with this place in Taylor, PA (Family Affair on Main Street, in case you're passing through :laugh: ). Lots of families. An occasional blind date or two (great opportunity for eavesdropping by the way).

IMHO, the baklava is amazingly bad...yet I continue to order it. Nicely flavored pastry top and filling, but incredibly tough on the bottom. Whether using your teeth or a knife and fork, you will struggle, I guarantee. When you stand up to leave, phyllo flakes will be all over the table, your lap and occasionally, your neighbor.

Note: I am no expert on Lebanese desserts so this could be one person's opinion and completely off the mark. :raz:

All this said, I've heard that LT/DC is nowhere near as good as it used to be. Given that I've only been going there for about two years, I have no means of comparison. I've also never been to the VA location.

I usually go to the location at Pentagon Row and have been for about three years. It hasn't been quite as good lately but, like you, I do still like it. The restaurant at Pentagon Row has a nicer atmosphere than the others (from what I've seen), and the food at the original Arlingotn location wasn't as good the two times I went.

They are opening a new location at Tyson's Galleria in the fall (soon I think). I'm sure I will go there on a regular basis.

Bill Russell

I used to live in Arlington, near their other location. I ate there when I visited last, um, probably 8 months ago now.

I'm glad someone likes the hummus! The nutty flavor you liked I personally didn't. It tasted like a bowl of tahini. I say this fully realizing that I am in the minority on this.... I like tahini, but more as a background flavor.

Everything else I've had there has been fine. I guess I'm sort of ambivilent about the place. The VA location rarely got my business when I lived there, though, because it happens to be situated across the street from one of the best deli/pizza/beer places in NoVA, The Lost Dog Cafe. mmm. (well, when I was young, it was just the Gourmet Pizza Deli. They've expanded since then. Highly recommended!)

*edited* because I'm pretty sure they don't sell a lot of 'Pizz' at the deli. sigh.

Edited by cakewench (log)

JennyUptown: If you ever do make it out to VA, don't go to LT. You should try Layalana Restaurant in Arlington -- truly authentic, delicious Lebanese/Syrian food with impeccable, friendly service. Somewhere there is a thread on EG.

Edited by Minister of Drink (log)

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

I really like ordering armloads of food from the store in Arlington. Couple of chickens, garlic sauce (whatever the hell it's called) by the pint, fattoush, etc. (Minister, help me out here).

Not much is better than spending a Sunday eating this stuff when you're into your cups and don't feel like cooking, perhaps with the exception of the much sought after and heralded RTS.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

I really like ordering armloads of food from the store in Arlington. Couple of chickens, garlic sauce (whatever the hell it's called) by the pint, fattoush, etc. (Minister, help me out here).

Not much is better than spending a Sunday eating this stuff when you're into your cups and don't feel like cooking, perhaps with the exception of the much sought after and heralded RTS.

As explained to me a long time ago whilst in the Middle East, the garlic paste is crushed garlic that is blended/whipped into a frothy paste. During the blending process, they hold ice cubes (that melt drop by drop) over the paste. It takes about 45 minutes to make about a pint.

Good idea for Sunday and the game! Now just to select the booze.

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

Lebanese Taverna used to be great many years ago. I used to frequent the original one (on Washington Blvd in Virginia) fairly often, and still remember many a fine kibbeh nayeh there. The carryout at Lee Heights Shopping Center (Arlington) used to be the best place around (well, okay, Crisp & Juicy was pretty good too, in a Satanic sort of way.) I haven't been in several years now (and I've never tried any of the other locations), but some trusted friends have told me they've gone seriously downhill with over-expansion. No big surprise there.

To Dilute Beirut for loot,

makes quality moot.

Perhaps astute,

but not terribly cute.

Rocks.

To Dilute Beirut for loot,

makes quality moot.

Perhaps astute,

but not terribly cute.

Rocks.

Don,

a few years from now, I can see a limited-edition book titled "Pearls of Wisdom from Egullet Eagles." Some things you come up with are simply too damn funny.

Resident Twizzlebum

I'm glad someone likes the hummus!  The nutty flavor you liked I personally didn't.  It tasted like a bowl of tahini.  I say this fully realizing that I am in the minority on this.... I like tahini, but more as a background flavor.

My daughter loves it. She can eat a whole order by herself (she's 5). Every time I try to make hummus at home she asks why it isn't as good as Lebanese Taverna's.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I've started to enjoy grabbing quick lunches at the new chain of "Cafe" (read fast food) spots that they have opened. Been to one on Rockville Pike (next to Buy Buy Baby) and the one in the "New" downtown Silver Spring.

The full service restaurants however are simply not worth it in my opinion. If you want sit down Lebanese/middle eastern in the District, go a little further up the Red Line to Cafe Ole.

Many of you have also probably seen my rants about being served red wine there more than once that is absolutely steaming hot with the resulting lovely alcohol nose.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I wish I knew what LT puts in their rice pilaf, which comes with most of the entrees.  It looks like your basic rice, but man, it sure tastes good to me.

Anyone have insight here?

I have the recipe from one of the two cooking classes I took there. I'm at work and its at home, but I can post it. Its pretty easy and is actually very similar to the recipe from the Lebanese class on eGCI ---> here

Anyone know the ethics of posting a restaurant recipe like that here or in Recipe Gullet? I have their hommos, garlic sauce, shawarma and rice recipes that I'd be happy to share.

Bill Russell

I've started to enjoy grabbing quick lunches at the new chain of "Cafe"  (read fast food) spots that they have opened. Been to one on Rockville Pike (next to Buy Buy Baby) and the one in the "New" downtown Silver Spring.

The full service restaurants however are simply not worth it in my opinion.

I feel the same way; i love going to the cafes and grabbing a swarma or shish tawook. but the main restaurants were overpriced...and therefore made the food not taste as good.

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.